Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't want to start a new oil tread - I know everybody has his own belief and experience that I fully respect. I want to know if anybody has reliable oil analysis results for the recomended oil Castrol 5 W-40. I have a big head ache with the dealer recomandation to change every 5K miles. I have an official e-mail from VW stating they recomendation from the manual - after the initiall 5k then at 10k and after every 10k miles oil change. They also state that Ican file a complaint with them against the dealership recomending (and re-programming the board computer) oil change every 5k miles. Since my dealer tried twice to sell me the diesel engine oil because they were out of the other one I do not trust him any more and do my services myself - at least I know what oil I put in. I buy the oil and all parts at the dealership - should be all well documented for any case. When I asked the service manager for the reason why my car wants service at 15k miles he told me to change the oil - I asked why and he told me it is needed. I asked if he used inferior quality oil and needs premature change or he used the correct one but wants to make a buck - he replied it's OK - I wouldn't need to change the oil and I should please leave - not after I had him delete the service request of my car.
As soon as my waranty is over I will switch to Amsoil (have extensive oil analysis data on that oil and trust it - don't trust the promisses of Amsoil without own hard data) and will put in a bypass filter as well.
Would appreciate if anybody has spent the money for an oil analysis so I don't have to do it - have 40k miles on - so waranty should not last too long any more - car is 2 years old and I love it how it drives - I drive with a German accent - so we match pretty good.

Thanks! Robert

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
hmm... interesting. I've always switched out at 5k miles. peace of mind for me, but i see your argument espcially if VWOA is supposedly supporting it via email.

i do not have any analysis of my oil but i've always used castrol 0w-30, euro spec. prob unnecessary, but i like it.

·
So Sofistikated
10,617 Posts
I have a big head ache with the dealer recomandation to change every 5K miles.
Why is this? 10k miles is under the most subtle conditions whilst 5k would be more severe. An oil change is the first line of defense against the engine breaking down. Its also cheap insurance. The dealer, while it is trying to make money, is doing the correct thing here trying to change it every 5k. If you notice in the manual it says a tire rotate every 10k...thats wrong too.

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
First of all, welcome to the roc :)

Second, the dealership service department will try to make a buck whenever they can. It is their job to keep your car running in tip-top shape if you choose to get it serviced with them. The additional 5k oil changes will not harm your car by any means. On the other hand, giving your driving conditions (unknown to me), it may only need to be changed every 10k. Your vehicle does not know when it needs and oil change. The 5k service light is a reminder to do more than just your oil. I use it as a reminder to rotate/balance my tires and check my fluids. This is what your dealership will do (and then some) on the 5k intervals if you let them, and they will of course charge you for it. There is nothing wrong with this practice, however, if you can perform this 5k service yourself; you'll save a few bucks.

You can probably look somewhere in the upwards of $600 for one oil analysis. Then you need something to compare it to. You see how quickly that adds up?

Just trust what VW recommends and change it when they recommend. Your car will thank you for it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've always swapped my oil every 5k miles as well, even with previous vehicles. Although most dealerships I've been to constantly remind me that I don't need to do it so often, I do it just to be safe. I look at it as a small price to pay to protect my investment.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
It all depends on how hard you drive. Your dealer really shouldn't be an ass about it though.

Here's an example: My dealer was using Penzoil 5w-40, and telling me 5K intervals. (which I was fine with - I don't drive really hard or real easy either)

@ 25,000 (or a little past) I took it in for an oil change. I noticed they had Castrol signs up, Castrol paper floor mats, and Castrol logo on the plastic seat cover they put on. AND - I noticed they put my next oil change 7,000 miles from that day.... hmmm interesting! (ok by me as that's the interval I use for the wife's CR-V using Mobil 1 5w20)

I typically would do my own oil change - but so far I've spent about ~$54 each for 5 changes, after getting my 5th and most recent one done for free. (they do every 5th one for free). So I get a nice dealer receipt for my records, and I don't have to get dirty or mess with taking the used oil to the dump.

So anyways - if you drive really easy and it's not super hot and dusty where you live - by all means do it per the manual at every 10K. Maybe find a new dealer too. (I unfortunately only have one to choose from)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
$54 for an oil change? Mine are $100 at my dealership......should I go to a different one?
i had said "After getting my 5th one for FREE." So I've had 5, paid for only 4. Usually it's around $69 - $72 otherwise. Unless you live in Canada, or they are doing more than just change your oil - yes you might look around for a better deal.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
I did see an oil analysis a while back on the tex but it may not have been for the castrol 5w-40. I think this might be it. I dont remember though.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4548548

Personally, as long as there is oil in my engine Im good to go. I could care less if it has 5k or 10k under its belt. I usually just change my oil every 6 months regardless of mileage. My dealer never pushes me to do anything I do not want to do on my car. They are just happy that I keep bringing back my car to them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The analysis results look OK to me - thanks for the link.
I don't mind the dealership to want to make a buck - everyone has to make a living. I have lost my trust on what they put in my car so I do it myself. If 5k miles changes give you peace of mind that would mean 1k miles changes would be even better - or? I want to be able to trust the oil even for 5k miles. I used to drive a car with oil quality sensor in it in Germany and I was driving very hard on the Autobahn - the oil was good for 30k Km and it was Mobil 1. Mobil 1 has cheaped out and they use a cheaper, lower quality base oil for their synthetic - no much trust there any more.
Changing out the oil too early is waste of money, waste of resources, waste of time to do it, increases the risk of screwing smthg. up during the change. After I did the oil analysis on my truck at 18k miles (for 25$) and it looked OK I changed the oil once a year and the oil had a lot of margin to it - required a good air filter to keep out contaminants. A friend has put a bypass oil filter and is now at 62k miles on one oil filling - on a Diesel New Beetle.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Mine had been recomending 5k but the last time I was in there the guy actually brought up that it doesn't need to be done that often. I might have them reset it when I get my 20k.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's one thing I will have to get the dealer to do - get the 5k steps out of the service computer.
I did some simple math: pay about 50$ for the oil and filter (from dealership) and don't account for my time. For 60k miles I would change 12 times for every 5k and would come out to 600$. If I change once a year - about 15k in my case - would cost me only 200$ (maybe a few bucks more - the other oil costs 9$ a quart). And I would have peace of mind knowing what I did and what I put into the engine. I plan to keep this car for at least 200k miles!

Saw a lot of people responding are from Texas - I live in Wylie (Dallas area) - silver 2007 2 door Rabbit.

·
We're Geekin'
8,488 Posts
To put the oil cost in perspective...

Say you drive 15,000 miles a year, at 2.50 gallon and 25mpg avg you are paying $1500 in gas... So you are complaining about $180 in oil changes?

Do 10k mile oil changes if you must, but make sure you are topping the oil off as needed as it will burn some oil in that period.

Also, why is it that VW recommended 5k changes when their owners were paying for the changes for the first 36k miles, but once they included 36k miles of service, 10k mile changes were good enough?

Ask Nitro about the cars he gets in with more than 10k miles on a change and you might reconsider...

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
If you are from Wylie you will probably see my rabbit driving around for time to time. Especially if you ever drive through Plano or Mckinney.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to reconsider if I see hard facts - want pictures and information about the oil used - I am willing to change my oppinion and habbits if I get convinced. And yes - I am cheap. With a bypass filter I would change oil every 60k miles. I bought the basic 2 door (silver metallic - less need of washing - cheap) Rabbit with only option of ESP - it has saved me a few cars back in Germany and I am an electronics engineer working in the automotive field for 10 years now - specifically on the electronic brakes - very interesting field.
First thing I learned was the most expensive oil is the cheapest engine repair - thet's why I use real full synthetic.
I agree that 5k oil change is better than 10k oil change but then a 1k change would beat both - or? Where do you draw the line? Are you sure 5k is not too much for the Castrol - see what Mobil 1 did?
VW had the issue with the 1.8T engine - sludged up if no full synthetic oil was used. Why would they risk now on all the 2.5L engines a too long oil change interval without testing it? VW pays only for a change every 10K (after the initial 5k and 10k).
My engine does not burn too much oil - I check it regularly. Most engines (newer) don't burn the oil - the cheap oil evaporates because it has a low volatility point. A good synthetic shouldn't. Tested it in my Ducati Monster.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not as often as I used to be in McKinney but drive through Plano daily on the way to High Five. I see few Rabbits on my way but more GTIs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Alot of Audi owners use Blackstone Laboratories, which is right in my town, for oil analysis for their cars. I highly recommend that you send them a sample, they do a top notch job. I personally have never done it, but know about 30 people who have. They are very familiar with VAG cars, but of course its more about the oil, they know their stuff and give you suggestions.

Just some BTDT.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts