Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many quarts does our car require and can anyone post a pic of where the oil drain and fill holes are thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Ok so when I bought my 08 rabbit six months ago I was told that my oil changes would be at 5000, 10000, and then every 10000 miles after that. But today when i got my 10000 mile check up the sticker they put in the window for the next oil change indicated that it should be done at 15000 miles. Also do you HAVE to get your oil change at the dealership.
I do it every 5000mi. Thats what the "watered down" mfd says (that little wrench). I chose to keep doing it at the dealer because I would save 3$ and have to bust my a$$ doing it dealer charges me 59$. You dont have to take it to the dealer, but I heard that VW will frown upon it. Just have documentation that said you did or somthing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do it every 5000mi. Thats what the "watered down" mfd says (that little wrench). I chose to keep doing it at the dealer because I would save 3$ and have to bust my a$$ doing it dealer charges me 59$. You dont have to take it to the dealer, but I heard that VW will frown upon it. Just have documentation that said you did or somthing.
yeah dealer charges me 100 after tax and service, not really enjoying it

·
So Sofistikated
10,617 Posts
I do every 5k, its about 55 bux for castrol 0w30 euro forumla and i do it myself..

I literally dont trust any mechanic with my car, prolly would trust nitro tho, because ive seen mercedes, bmw, bentley and lambo techs screw around with the cars, driving too fast in the lot, forgetting oil etc..

Keep your receipts and youre golden.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I do every 5k, its about 55 bux for castrol 0w30 euro forumla and i do it myself..

I literally dont trust any mechanic with my car, prolly would trust nitro tho, because ive seen mercedes, bmw, bentley and lambo techs screw around with the cars, driving too fast in the lot, forgetting oil etc..

x2.. exactly what i would have posted lol

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any links on how to do it, i know how to do a normal one but i was told this car had a suspended oil system.

·
Registered
625 Posts

DJ i use the same on my car and i actually noticed a little difference when i started using it...

i do mine every 5k... and i engine flush every 3rd... and almost bout to hit 30k

·
Registered
21 Posts
proper documentation of maintence records kept on the car, vw wont frown upon they just dont make extra money from you. it wont void the warranty by any means. i do it myself and pay 59 bucks for 5w30 mobil 1 full syn with filter and motor is happy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ooh yea for those who drive there cars i would recommend using a heavier weight oil than 0w-30, ya i know the manual says to use it but afterall we arent driving on the autobahn here more like everyday traffic and sometimes we all get a little throttle happy.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah def doing my own now, this month my autozone has a box of 5qts of synthetic oil WITH a filter for 30$

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
please help need to change oil soon all i need is a picture of where the oil filter and drain hole are

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you that's exactly what i needed i just couldn't ever find anything like it

·
Registered
26 Posts
What do you guys think about the VW oil certification...The only one readily available in the U.S. is Castrol 5W40 and it's EXPENSIVE!

Is there really any significant difference between VW certified synthetic and perhaps other synthetics that are readily availble and cheaper in the U.S ?

My guess is that most synthetics in the U.S. would pass the tests used for VW certification...Anyone have any thoughts ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
well this is just me but i have only two VW certified techs that work on my car and both of them are family so i get a little discount so i dont have an issue with paying the techs that 100$ or how much it cost.:eek:ff::eek:ff: i wouldn't know beacuse i have my car since july of last year and i still didn't put 3000 miles on it :eek:ff::eek:ff::eek:ff:

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
What do you guys think about the VW oil certification...The only one readily available in the U.S. is Castrol 5W40 and it's EXPENSIVE!

Is there really any significant difference between VW certified synthetic and perhaps other synthetics that are readily availble and cheaper in the U.S ?

My guess is that most synthetics in the U.S. would pass the tests used for VW certification...Anyone have any thoughts ?
i used the oil that jaylind used in his DIY, it is 502.00 spec, i can't remember what i paid for it though, ~60 bucks...

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
all synthetic oils are about the same price, $6-7 bucs.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
My last change I got lucky Walmart was trying to get rid of it??? why i don't know but I got 5qts for $5 each.. bought the rest at the BX for $7qt. the filter at Napa was going to be $19 but I went to another Walmart and they had them for around $4 ea.

All were still a brand name I just shopped around. Here is a little tip.. If the $7qt oils is killing you.. Just buy one a payday with your normal shopping and before you know it the will have 7+ qts in the garage. It's too bad you cannot buy it in the 5qt juggs..

JAy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts