Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
ooh yea for those who drive there cars i would recommend using a heavier weight oil than 0w-30, ya i know the manual says to use it but afterall we arent driving on the autobahn here more like everyday traffic and sometimes we all get a little throttle happy.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend a heavier weight lubricant. In my manual factory preferred lubricant is Castrol Syntec 5w-40 so I'm not sure where you saw 0w-30.

In general if you are worried about engine warranty just get a lubricant that meets/exceeds VW's 502.00 specification. There's a list from '04 floating around on Vortex, also most manufacturer's will have guides and list if they are "compatible". Mobil-1 0W-40 is approved and it's what I use, or Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 MST/SynPower 5w-40. The 5w-30 MST is NOT the same as SynPower 5w-30, do not get the two confused.

Love it or hate it WallyWorld(walmart) is Win for good deals... don't forget to check the filter has a fresh gasket (tab up when installed!) and a new crush washer for drain plug.

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
Filters dont have a crush washer. The place you buy them from probably includes it in there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Filters dont have a crush washer. The place you buy them from probably includes it in there.
Umm... I didn't say a filter has a crush washer... the drain plug has the crush washer. The filter cartridge should come with a fresh gasket for the housing...

EDIT-Nitro I think you thought I was talking about the bleed nipple on the housing.... I meant the actual drain plug for the pan.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts