Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this device work on our 2.5's? I've always crawled under every vehicle I've owned to drain the oil, however, I'm just wondering if I could use this instead of breaking out the cardboard boxes, aka 'oil catchers'.

I understand that I still have to get under the car to remove the filter. This just seems like a cleaner way to get the majority of the oil out.

I have a gift certificate to Northern Tool, that why I picked this one... :)

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_390306_390306

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Would it work, sure would if the tube fits
Would I use it, NEVER! I much prefer to flow of oil out the drain home to drag crap with it.

And you still have to remove the splash pan to do the oil filter, so there is little saving in time or effort.

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Would it work, sure would if the tube fits
Would I use it, NEVER! I much prefer to flow of oil out the drain home to drag crap with it.

And you still have to remove the splash pan to do the oil filter, so there is little saving in time or effort.
I was wondering about this too and you just answered my question. Do you use ramps to do the oil change? I have seen a lot of DIY's and people saying they do it without it. Just curious if this is different than any other vehicle I have ever owned?

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it work, sure would if the tube fits...
I was asking if it would work in a mechanical sense with our 2.5 engine, not a hypothetical sense. From what I've read, some engines have a weird dipstick twists/turns that won't allow the tube to go all the way to the bottom. Others have issues with the tube hitting the the oil pump on the way down.

I willing to bank that the oil filter element is what catches this so-called crap. If the filter is changed regularly this shouldn't be a problem.

I am aware of this, however, it was not my concern.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I'm on a Mercedes forum also with my CLK and there a lot of people are using that tool.
however I'm wondering how would you clean the magnetic plug from metal shavings?

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have magnetic drain plugs? If so, hopefully they are good magnets. I guess they would be good, I mean, why someone install a weak magnet. If it's a good magnet, it should be able to hold at least a years worth of shavings... :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
their not magnetic. well the stock ones. i just bought the ecs tuning one. dunno how good it works yet, i just installed it, but the magnet seems to bee pretty strong. i dropped it and rocks were stuck to it.
that oil extractor looks neat, only if the filtrs were different location itd make it easier.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
on the Mercedes the filter it's on top of the engine and it's pointing upwards. it makes more sens using this tool.

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, that would be a sinch then...

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Leon, I first used jack stand and they were a royal pain, then I got some Rhino ramps and they were better. Then i got an hydraulic hoist. http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/way-to-change-your-oil-9059.html?t=9059. No more lying on my back!
man, that thing scares me, i'd feel better digging a six-foot rectangular hole in my garage floor that i could drop in an stand up underneath the vehicle...

hah hah, the six-foot sounds grave'ish...

i'm glad it works for you, i hope it has a mechanical/hardware lock/pin to keep it at a certain level, never trust the hydraulics alone...

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
It looks scary and at first I was real scared about being underneath it, but it is quite solid and stable. The locking pin thing is huge and automatic, so there is no worries about it coming down on you. The most it would sink is about an inch or two, but i have not had the hydraulics slip yet. I makes sure I never position myself whereby a slippage would cause a limb to be trapped. In other words, I take my time and work smart. I do not plan on dying under the car, nor win the Darwin award.

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm telling you, it looks like a big pair of scissors to me, stay clear of those blades... and like you say, take your time...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Leon,

Although not the most high-end topside oil changer the one you are looking at will do the job.

Also for the skeptics I'm almost positive Mercedes and BMW use this method for factory service.

Be sure to have some engine temperature as this helps loosen up sludge in the pan, in addition to making the oil flow a little easier. I would still recommend using a magnetic drain plug and cleaning it with every oil change. Honestly most people have no clue how detrimental tiny particulate matter is to an engine over time... and if you don't clean the crap out of there what's the point of putting in fresh oil?

I hope the year's worth of shavings comment was just sarcasm :)

If you get it be sure to share your review!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive used a "PELA 6000" oil extractor for 6 years.Its nice and easy to use and is especially handy for sucking all the oil out of the filter housing area.
I make sure that I move the end of the pipe around in the sump to extract all the oil. I change my oil every 12 months no matter what distance I do
When I get to the 3rd service I always do an engine flush with "forte"
I have never had any oil related problems with any of my cars and I own a MK1 gti which has 170000+ on the clock from new

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cool, i like reading information like that...

congrats on the high mileage MK1, that is proof enough that regular oil changes and oil filters do the trick, i might look into 'forte' down the road, i never used a flush agent on my previous vehicles...

·
Registered
141 Posts
i current use this one and love it

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...63&zmam=73771597&zmas=4&zmac=76&zmap=ZX532063

the oil filter is there for a reason guys, it takes any bits out before the oil heads to the engine. Yes, the filter needs to be changed, but only at 10k services. I like to put fresh every 5k considering it gets a lot of abuse at the track. It's also fantastic for bleeding brakes, don't need another person to pump the pedal.

·
Banned
608 Posts
I change my fathers oil in the backyard.

I have to stands and 2 ramps. Just come up on it and secure it with stands.

then take a big bucket, put it under, unscrew the screw, oil pours out. Screw it back in.... Wala. take stands off and then get off the ramp. Pour oil in and there u r.
Total Work time- About 25minutes.
I only use Pentosin.
Trying Castrol Or Mobil Next.

Not to thread jack but what oil is the best four our bunnies?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
the only reason I would use one of these would be if I lived in an apartment building or someplace where it wasn't easy to work on the car. Or if I had some strange phobia of being under a car... It's just not that difficult to get the car on some ramps and pull the plug without getting just a few drops of oil on your fingers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would this device work on our 2.5's? I've always crawled under every vehicle I've owned to drain the oil, however, I'm just wondering if I could use this instead of breaking out the cardboard boxes, aka 'oil catchers'.

I understand that I still have to get under the car to remove the filter. This just seems like a cleaner way to get the majority of the oil out.

I have a gift certificate to Northern Tool, that why I picked this one... :)

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_390306_390306
NEVER use these things.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts