Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may have come up before, but just wanted to check.

I have about 3K miles on my rabbit now and my oil level is 1/2 way between Min & Max within the textured area. I know it?s common for engines to burn a bit while its new. Just wanted to see what you guys out there have seen. Should I be concerned being that these engines use synthetic oils that aren't suppose to break down that quickly?

Also....how much oil does the textured area signify? Couldn?t find anything in the manual. Was going to go pick up a quart of Amsoil 5/40 Syn tomorrow and top it off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I am still on my breakin oil (500 miles) and noticed that I to am between the low and full lines. If you are going to top it up, it is better to add about 1/2 qt, start car for a minute, let car sit about 5 minutes and check again. You do not have to wait for the engine to completely cool to check the oil. Almost all the oil will return to the pan very quickly. It is better to do it this way becuase it is easier to add a little more than to overfill and have to jack up the car, remove the bolt a little and let half a qt drain out on your hand. Trust me...I have done the latter and now do the 1/2 qt at a time trick. ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
i'm in the middle of trying to determine if my rabbit is consuming oil. i strongly suspect it was the dealer just not putting enough oil in it, tho. i topped it off and ran it for a week, checking it every day. so far, it hasn't gone down at all. check your oil before you leave the stealership if you let them change it for you. it should be at the full mark. not at the bottom or halfway up. it should be exactly to the point where it states in your manual that you should not add any more oil.

any others out there have the dealer scam them like this?


s3aturnr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Like I said above. I made the mistake of not checking the oil until a few days after I bought the car. It only had 150 miles on it but it was in between the full and add area of the stick. I think the factory is leaving these cars a little short on oil. Not that it will damage anything as it is still within the safe zone but it should be full. Does anyone know what to top off the oil with if you are still in the break in period. I don't think I should start dumping in any full syn just yet. Maybe I will call the dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
whiterabbit said:
Like I said above. I made the mistake of not checking the oil until a few days after I bought the car. It only had 150 miles on it but it was in between the full and add area of the stick. I think the factory is leaving these cars a little short on oil. Not that it will damage anything as it is still within the safe zone but it should be full. Does anyone know what to top off the oil with if you are still in the break in period. I don't think I should start dumping in any full syn just yet. Maybe I will call the dealership.
Don't add anything BUT full synthetic and make sure it meets VW spec. I put up a post on all vw approved oils a while back if you want to look for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
i know what my dealer used b/c of the receipt thank goodness it was free.... 80 bucks for an oil change :mad: looks like im doing it my self but they used castrol full synthetic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
blkrabbitmkv said:
i know what my dealer used b/c of the receipt thank goodness it was free.... 80 bucks for an oil change :mad: looks like im doing it my self but they used castrol full synthetic
I paid 98 bucks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Flopsy said:
blkrabbitmkv said:
i know what my dealer used b/c of the receipt thank goodness it was free.... 80 bucks for an oil change :mad: looks like im doing it my self but they used castrol full synthetic
I paid 98 bucks!
I feel much better! The dealership only charged me $59!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Flopsy said:
blkrabbitmkv said:
i know what my dealer used b/c of the receipt thank goodness it was free.... 80 bucks for an oil change :mad: looks like im doing it my self but they used castrol full synthetic
I paid 98 bucks!
ouch :-\ isn't it weird that we have a wide array of prices for the exact same thing? These damn dealerships try to nickle and dime anything that they can ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
wolfen said:
Does anybody have options besides the VW stealerships to service your Rabbit, where i live they are options like these guys but the prices they quoted were only about $10 cheaper :-\

http://www.volxgerman.com/
I know of the doityourselfers lol j/k but all you have to do is find the thread that has approved oils for the rabbit it was posted on here but i know my dealership used castrol full synthetic also mobil 1 full sythetic will work let me look into it a lil more and i will let you know

ok...  thanks to Flopsy here is a list of approved oils
http://www.vw.com/vwcom/content/objects/pdf/service_maint/oilchart.pdf

and... thanks to Dujour here is a thread w/ pics of changing the oil
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2570457

can't take the credit on their find lol but hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Flopsy said:
whiterabbit said:
Like I said above. I made the mistake of not checking the oil until a few days after I bought the car. It only had 150 miles on it but it was in between the full and add area of the stick. I think the factory is leaving these cars a little short on oil. Not that it will damage anything as it is still within the safe zone but it should be full. Does anyone know what to top off the oil with if you are still in the break in period. I don't think I should start dumping in any full syn just yet. Maybe I will call the dealership.
Don't add anything BUT full synthetic and make sure it meets VW spec. I put up a post on all vw approved oils a while back if you want to look for it.
it's a good idea to find out exactly what brand was used in your car so you can top it off with the same stuff. if it came with castrol synntec, you should refill it with that. if not you shouldn't. castrol is made a little different than other synthetics and probably shouldn't be mixed...


s3aturnr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
less oil, less friction losses & more power and MPG. If we were topping off 1500+ cars a month, that would be 750 quarts a month, x $4 a quart-- it adds up, and they are not non-profit.

I always have intentionally under-filled when I have changed my own oil in the past, you can always put more in later! Unless you are below the bottom line, leave it alone until next change.

Oil starvation issues? Might have a boring car for your needs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
wolfen said:
Does anybody have options besides the VW stealerships to service your Rabbit, where i live they are options like these guys but the prices they quoted were only about $10 cheaper :-\

http://www.volxgerman.com/
even if you still have it changed by a shop, you should definitely LEARN how to change it yourself. it's not terribly difficult and i find that laying on a creeper is an effective and much cheaper option than a psycologist's couch. it soothes me. ;D


s3aturnr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
$80 for an oil change?!?!? Is that the average price from the dealerships?
I just went to my dealerships website and found this special.. not sure how much their regular prices are:

 

·
ROC Moderator
Joined
·
2,637 Posts
Be careful! "additional charges may appply for 5 cyl engines.." so add a little tax and maybe 10 bucks or so and its over 60 already. Maybe the dealer will hook you up and only charge you 50.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top