Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1981 VW rabbit pickup that I installed a 1983 engine and 5 speed out of a 1983 turbo Jetta. My question, When I change the oil I put in 4.5 qts of oil. The level on the dipstick is quite a ways up from the marks. I have tried looking for the oil capacity of a turbo jetta and can't find it. The manual for the original engine for the caddy says 4.5 qts. Is that correct for the turbo engine? Thanks Brian

·
Registered
302 Posts
That is what I run in mine. I have the oil cooler on the water system out of an 83 Jetta but the dipstick is registering the level as spot on. Could you have a shorter dipstick tube than is correct for the length of the stick itself? Could the pan be dented and raising the level. More oil is better in a turbo than less. You really need that up top for cooling and lube.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The dipstick may be out of my original NA from the truck. I don't remember. I know I really like the turbo engine and the 5 speed. At 7000 feet it would not run at 70MPH with the original engine and trany. It does now!

·
Super Moderator
10,551 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The dipstick may be out of my original NA from the truck. I don't remember. I know I really like the turbo engine and the 5 speed. At 7000 feet it would not run at 70MPH with the original engine and trany. It does now!
At 7000 feet, I couldn't run at all, matter of fact the last time I was at 6000 (Wyoming) I had to have a few stents placed in my heart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts