Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm brand new to the VW diesel world and looking for some experience.Just got an 81 Rabbit with the 1.6 non turbo.Just changed the timing belt successfully and corrected a walking problem. Ready to start fixing more issues. My Rabbit has been abused by previous owners and needs lots of TLC. The ac has been removed (brackets,hoses, evaporator, everything). So I need to build a completely new system, and the alternator pulley doesn't line up good with the other 2 pulleys. I'm thinking a serpentine system is the way to go. Any ideas?
Remember I am new to VW diesels and am not familiar with alot of the different types and terms used,but I learn quickly. Thanks alot .

·
Super Moderator
10,425 Posts
Welcome, for the a/c stuff I would suggest a later golf, Take everything the 81 has wire partial wire driven controls, where the later has a Vacuum servo control unit. You may be able to exchange the Cabriolet one and get it to work. The compressor on later golfs/jettas/passats were serp belt driven.
You would need water pump and crank pulleys as well.

The one off of a Cabriolet would almost be plug and play, but then you would also need possibly a servo that boosts your idle on the diesel.
You will also loose about 10HP when it is running.. ok, not 10hp, but you feel it.

I will help you anyway I can, but you also should buy a new parallel evaporator and condenser as they work better with r134a.
Take the hoses as well.

The Cabriolet and later golfs have a screen over the fresh air intake to prevent the clogging of the heater box drain, you will want to modify yours or get one off a wrecker. Also a Debris Guard works well keeping other things out.

Welcome to the ROC.

·
Super Moderator
10,425 Posts
forgot to add alternator pulley...... opps I'm Bad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts