Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Daddyroo5 said:
aww and i was thinking about making one : P
Do it anyway man! We need ROC DIYs anyway.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Daddyroo5 said:
aww and i was thinking about making one : P
go for it! you can do better than that. he doesn't have a clear pic of that filter drain he was talking about. the rest seemed pretty informative, tho...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I changed mine last night for the first time. Was going to make my own write up but by the time I got on the lift I just wanted to get it done. Only part I did differently was I didn't have the drain tool for the filter cartridge, you can just screw it off but you will get oil on your hand so be prepared to get dirty.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
My oil change will happen next week. DIY will depend on how ambitious I feel. Camera + dirt = not good.

As to draining the filter, I read that inserting a screwdriver in the drain nipple and shifting the plug sideways will open it just fine. No need to spend like $80 on the tool.

Tell you what, if I do a DIY, it will only be on the drain plug on the filter. the rest is basic oil change stuff.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Well i did change my oil yesterday, sorry no pics. it was windy as hell and I did not want sand and oil on my camera. It was bad enough that while draining the filter housing, it missed the drain pan because of the wind.

Some things I learned:

The drain in the end of the oil filter housing just pushes up and sideways with any pointy object, screwdriver works just fine. oil drains out of the housing and then you stay real clean.

The O ring that comes with the filter has an up and a down side. the up side had a little tang that you use the next time. You grab it with pliers to remove. I bet if you put it in upside down it will leak!

The plastic oil filter housing is nothing to be afraid of. it is made out of the toughest plastic I have ever seen. Just don't cross-thread!

The original oil was thick like syrup! the Castol Syntec 5W40 I put in was way thiner!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts