Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am a very proud Tiguan owner; 2.0L TSi Sport and Style 2009 Model (62 000km) :) Recently I went on a fairly long trip (about 400km). After an overnight stay my car wouldn't start... After quite some time of locking her and unlocking her, opening the bonet etc she started. We then proceded to 4X4 up a very steep muddy mountain- she handled this VERY well and unlike the Landrover in front of us she didn't slide around.

No problem starting up in the mountains but when I got home (another 400km drive) she wouldn't start again- after only 10mins of being turned off. VW assist came to my rescue the next morning and jump started her. I then took her in to VW and they say that they updated her software. To my dismay I got home and once again (after about 10mins of standing) she wouldn't start again... The next morning she still wouldn't start and when I tried again at lunch time she started.

I took her in again and my battery was replaced (at my cost). A day or so later I had been driving for about 150km and I stopped at a T-Junction to turn. The next minute there was no power and I realised my car was off; if I stalled I didn't feel it so I think that she cut out. Luckily I had jumper leads in my boot and we jump started her.

She's gone in again and VW still doesn't know what's wrong with her... :( The computer is not showing any faults... Has this happened to any of you before? Any suggestions? I don't know what to do... The problem is that it is an intermittent thing and it's not safe. I am travelling to Mozambique in 2 weeks and I can't risk getting stuck there as the nearest VW branch is 800km from where we're going.

Vanessa
South Africa

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is caused by not enough power reaching the starter solenoid to make it engage the starter motor.
The culprit could be:

• Weak battery (which I guess is not the problem since you have a new battery)
  • Worn ignition switch/ignition coil set contacts
  • Loose wire connection (somewhere from switch to solenoid)
  • A wire that has developed high resistance or become frayed or worn out.
  • Worn starter solenoid

1 - 2 of 2 Posts