Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 64, California car, slight rust only on the pan where the battery was (he has the replacement piece), motor turns over, 99% complete car, interior has been removed along with most of the windows. The rear fenders have some damage but other than some dimples on the roof, the rest of the car is very straight.

I have an opportunity to buy it and want to see what knowledgeable people think. What will it cost to get running properly, worst case scenario prices if you can.

-Re-upholster the seats
-Get the engine up and running
-Interior back together
-Pan cut and re-welded

I can do a lot of the work myself, reinstalling interior, tuning the engine but body work and upholstery are not my thing.

Thanks for any help!

Here is a link to the car:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/4649172862.html

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
It depends on it's history, is it all original, has it been painted/restored ever, is it near you (not cheap to ship stuff), how many owners and anyone special, do you love it and want to spend a good bit of time with it, what else can you buy for $2500 in your area because you'll spend 1k in a heart beat, if you want it nice but things can be done real cheap if needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His father passed away and he is sure his dad bought it brand new in San Diego. It does not look like it's been painted or restored. It's about 30 miles away from me, $80 tow ride home.

I love it, willing to spend time and another 2k on top of what I'm purchasing it for.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Well that all sounds good, you need to see the full extent of rust then, that will change costs dramatically especially if you don't weld. If it's really is only that floor pan section then 2k should be doable. It needs a good clean too might be not to bad under there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts