Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 2L In-Line4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a previously-owned 2012 Tiguan in 2018. (Now 80,000kms) At that time I had the use of underground parking, and so this issue never came up. Since 2020 I park in an open lot, and twice last winter under extreme cold conditions ( - 30 Deg C ) I experienced a fall-out with the power steering, luckily not while driving. The red warning light came on, and I could immediately feel that the steering was heavy and could not be easily turned. The first time this happened I called for a tow, which took a while to come. I was parked in a narrow parking lot and the tow truck driver asked me if I could move out so he could attend to the situation without inconveniencing all the other shoppers. I put the key in the ignition, and it worked, however I wanted it checked, so let it be towed to the mechanic who I know and trust. The next day I received a call that nothing untoward could be found, so happily I took my car home, again parking outside, but plugged in (as always in this city) A couple of days later, this happened again. Drove a short distance, however this time, as I was parking, the light went on and the steering became very stiff. I called the tow truck again, and after a couple of hours, they came to pick it up. AGAIN, there was nothing wrong, and again, I wanted it checked out, so let it be towed. Again, the mechanic could not tell me anything, so I took it home. Winter became spring.......and now it is winter again, and it has happened twice within two days. Reading through the forum, it certainly gives me cause for concern. None of the members/guests have been given a plausible answer. Thank goodness, the garage I support does not replace anything if they are not absolutely sure that is the cause. However, I am not happy. I plan a cross-country trip in April, and many of the cases suggest long-distance driving has something to do with the fault. Can anyone add to this? At the moment, my vehicle is sitting in a parking lot, waiting to be towed again.

·
Registered
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 2L In-Line4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update to my previous post about loss of Power Steering on a cold day with 2012 Tiguan. I was advised to go to a VW dealership and ask for a Software Update. Depending on the VIN# the technician would choose the appropriate software version. I had this done and can attest to the difference I feel with the power steering. No cold nights yet, however I am confident that this is the fix. And it wasn't horribly expensive!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts