Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I don't know but the most i have ever got was about 320mi and that was with the gas light on for 20min

after i put the 18's on the rabbit i cant even touch 290mi =(
What?! Are they heavier than the steelies? Cause I'm about to get 18s and I wasn't expecting a HUGE drop in mileage. What kind of wheels do you have?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would take it to the dealer and have them look at it and try to get it to repeat the same issue. I use to get bad mileage but lately i have been getting around 400-440 miles a tank depends on rush hour traffic and how pissed off i am. I use to get maybe 300 on a good day i also do about 70/30 split highway/city

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
How is a dealer going to recreate bad mileage??? I mean...if you let a dealer drive your car all day, you can expect to get many 40 miles per tank.

Heavy wheels mean more fuel to turn them mean less mileage.

·
Registered
170 Posts
if your gas mileage drops suddenly check you tire pressure and make sure they are all correct.

it can play a big part in gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I haven't changed my driving style, I'm not goosing it much anymore, and also, I'm taking a back roads to work in speed zones of 40 to 50mph, not in traffic at 65mph+
You're actually hurting your gas mileage here. I get the best fuel economy when I'm cruising around 70-75 MPH (6-speed automatic). With a 5-speed it would be slightly lower, but same principle. Staying at the lowest RPMs of the highest gear will give you the best results, since you're moving the fastest possible way with your engine doing the least amount of work.

Also as someone already mentioned, cruise control can also make a huge difference, since you're not inconsistently pounding on the gas pedal and burning up any extra fuel.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts