Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 28 March 2008, I told my dealer that the brakes were squeaking. The car had 20,354 miles on it. I bought the car in Feb 2007 and never heard any brake noises. The dealer said the brakes were fine. The noise continued and about a week ago got worse. It changed to a scraping sound. Now, 21 August 2008, 5 months and 6401 miles later (mileage 26755) the entire brakes pads and rotors need to be replaced. This does not seem like normal wear and tear. It appears to be an inferior product or a dealership driven to get more money from its customers--knowing if they do not fix the brakes pads earlier they will get more money for a bigger job quite soon. If the brakes were fine, they should not have deteriorated so quickly, after the initial problem.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
on VWs when you change pads, you have to change discs/rotors too;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recall alert

I had the exact same issue with my brakes at 10,000 miles and 21,000 miles. On both occasions I took my o7 rabbit into the my local dealership and they replaced them free of charge because apparently it was a recall issue. Now I don't know too much about cars but the way it was explained to me is that the 07 rabbits came out of factory with issues in the e brake... a pin gets loose or something causing premature wear on the rear brakes. I hope this info helps you with dealing with the service folks at your dealerships

·
Premium Member
16,519 Posts
From what Nitro was saying is the rotors are at minimum spec from factory. You cannot have them turned to increase their life. So when you swap pads the rotors are generally swapped as well. However, someone just paid for their rears to be swapped and the dealership did not swap the rotors so I'm not 100% on that.

·
Registered
511 Posts
yeah. i had talked to my dealer about that. about how you cant turn them because they are too thin already. but me not knowing much about cars, i was under the impression that rotors onlly needed to be changed if you let your pads get to low and started grinding and making grooves in your rotors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts