Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

181 - 183 of 183 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,267 Posts
The diz should have a hash mark stamped on the side of the case, that you can see if the plastic shield is removed. If you have a vacuum advanced diz it is about at the 90 degree mark CCW from the mech. A Electronic diz is about 90 degrees CCW from the plug.

Be warned that you are going to move the gear as you insert or remove the diz so you have to take tha tin to account.

Crank at tdc on the tranny finger.
Cam dimple even to the heads top place or the valve cover tin, if the valve cover is off you will also see that the number one lobes are up.
Diz rotor in the Center of the hash.

pictures:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Something seemed not right so I slid the belt off and timed it all up. The cam gear and flywheel dimple weren't lining up and once I got them right, the belt went back on just right.
Put the old diz in just in case and it's firing up,possibly better. It may have been off a tooth that whole time. When I took it down the block last week it was hesitating a bunch. Probably gonna get some plugs and washable fuel filter and get back to it later in the week.

·
Super Moderator
10,267 Posts
LOL.... Been there, my Green Cabby, that I bought from FLA, just had the timing belt changed by a "CERTIFIED VW" mech.

Well 3 weeks later, my car started acting the fool.....It would idle nicely, but give it gas, and it would hesitate, cough sputter, left off the gas and it would idle fine..... After a variety of things that I threw at it.... I finally found the issue was that the Mech that placed the new belt on, Torqued the lower Crank Bolt to 110lbs, that is normal for a 6pt bolt, but not the 12pt. So it Bottomed out in the crank, bent the end, and stripped....
So that eventually the Crank timing gear back out and out come out of the keeper slot, so that the car would jump time, then at idle with no load it would go back in time.....

I had to replace the crank. I am sure glad it wasn't a diesel, as well massive ca-ca would of occurred.
When I dropped the crank, and took it to the shop to see if it could be repaired, my shop guys said they had to get the BIG gun out and it took over 300ft/lbs to remove the bolt, and the bolt holed the crank out of place so much that they couldn't heli-coil it.....

Yep timing and RTFM is always a good thing, that and having friends with pictures.

181 - 183 of 183 Posts