Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

201 - 206 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
After a little bit of messing with the fuel system I have the car running a whole lot better. I corrected some pinging and the engine idle doesn't wander very much. There's probably still a vacuum leak or two.

Realized I was running the car off of the battery and the alternator is not fully charging. It was doing about 12 volts and under. I know that there should be an Exciter wire but I don't know for sure if that works without a gauge cluster. Mine wasn't lighting up and upon inspection a lot of the printed circuits are messed up. The wiring is still wonky from the previous owner so I'm doing my best. I'm not even sure the blue wire existed. I'm pretty sure when the car was still diesel I was just running a jumper wire or some sort.

·
Super Moderator
10,383 Posts
Look up on google Exciter circuit hot rod.... you will find many an example basically a lamp in the circuit back to the battery, with a 1n4004 1/2 watt diode...IIRC

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #203 (Edited)
update : While I did find a greenish blue wire and connected it, my cluster is knackered so I ran a temporary jumper from the + battery post to the exciter post and got 14.5.
I need to find a cluster, but I have a few switches laying around in case.

·
Super Moderator
10,383 Posts
Looks like mine aren't permanent to the socket or were changed at some point.

but these look like the replacement mentioned in the post above

If you go to a local parts store you can find the bulbs only and the better way to do it, using the same style of bulb. If you look for a 1990 Saturn SL and get the part number of the warning bulbs they are a higher wattage, and give you more light....Would be a tad cheaper....

201 - 206 of 206 Posts