Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

241 - 260 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
It feels pretty good, as it goes and stops when I want it to.
I still have a solid lifter gti head with what looks like a sizeable cam in it as well, but I thought an ABA bottom end might be cool for that later.
For now, the next stuff on the docket is getting rid of the bearing, axle, and steering issues.

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
that is the issue with Dub's It's always something to do....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Someone is sending me a cluster they had laying around but I'm having trouble figuring out what from, but also it's missing the center and the foil.
If I can figure it out I might put it in the rabbit. I have a jetta dash from a while back, obviously my westy cluster didn't fit that.
It's on it's way but I have pics.
It has mmo on the back and a push on speedo cable. Cabriolet?

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
mmo usually designates that it is a basic 90' but the lack of a few things tells me its from a early mk1 jetta with the missing upshift light, and clocks. It does use the clip on speedo and wow I don't know if it een works, it has the oil pressure warning (low oil at high RPM that if the series of pins above the speedo too bad there isn't a part number or sticker on it...
83 or 84 westy possibly, bit more likely a Scirocco.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
I actually found a different gauge cluster I can use with my jetta/cabby dash, but I need to find a bezel.

Also I got that Sherman grille off Summit onsale.
Fits well although it's a bit glossy. All the mounting holes seem correct.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
I actually found a different gauge cluster I can use with my jetta/cabby dash, but I need to find a bezel.

Also I got that Sherman grille off Summit onsale.
Fits well although it's a bit glossy. All the mounting holes seem correct.

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
Bezels are hard to come by, and most used ones are cracked at the mounting tabs, but in my DIY's I have the fix for you on cracked ones.

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
OBTW, the original grilles were shiney too...After a few years on the road the plastic fades a wee bit and dulls.

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
Now that I know your secret vortex id...... I have a virgin one out of a car, that I can take Photos of if you know someone who has a 3d printer, they could print you one.

Is just that most home owned printers can't do something that large....Maybe you could have a CNC shop make you one..out of Aluminum...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Glad you could find a grill. My 85 golf has a NLA listed grill as the tiny square headlights were only used for 1 year... zip ties keep the current one mounted lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
The cluster came in and it's actually from a cabriolet ( was listed as 1984 ). 3 of the mounting tabs broken and the bulbs are all out but it seems like the indicators are working.
Oil warning light is flashing so I'm looking up the fix for that. This is a time having 3 different wiring setups is really making things complicated. Maybe should have tracked down a CE2 harness or gone aftermarket by now.

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
The cluster came in and it's actually from a cabriolet ( was listed as 1984 ). 3 of the mounting tabs broken and the bulbs are all out but it seems like the indicators are working.
Oil warning light is flashing so I'm looking up the fix for that. This is a time having 3 different wiring setups is really making things complicated. Maybe should have tracked down a CE2 harness or gone aftermarket by now.
Sorry but this made me smile, kind of like when I got a 83GTI swapped Cabby/mk2 cluster to work with a/c from a cabby to work with and gee it was a lot of fun, just ask bluegti. :)

We are still trying to get the Low pressure/high RPM working correctly....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Yep. That's about where I'm at. 87 1.8 and sensors. Westy gas fuse box. Westy diesel engine harness. Cabriolet gauge cluster.
Maybe I should take the time between now and February to just rewire the thing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Sorry but this made me smile, kind of like when I got a 83GTI swapped Cabby/mk2 cluster to work with a/c from a cabby to work with and gee it was a lot of fun, just ask bluegti. :)

We are still trying to get the Low pressure/high RPM working correctly....
I could probably make a whole new thread for just this but after searching for a simpler way to wire the car up I'm more confused than I started.
Even the stuff from the 90s is 30 years old at this point so it's really tempting to use aftermarket. There don't seem to many folks who have done so or maybe I haven't found the right info yet.

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
have seen NOS looms before, but alas, I can remember my 58 Bug-Eye, we ended up re-placing all the harness's with home made new ones that actually worked flawless, and we added 5 more fuses than the 2 that it was originally equipped.....

Then you have yours where it was worked on, re-worked on, cut, spliced to no end...while it seems daunting you may be looking at removing one loom at a time re-working it and so forth till you stop them gremlins flat and dead.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
I'm trying to find a layout of the diesel engine harness ( I only have 3 variations of blue wires under here ) but so far I realized there isn't going to be a lead for the tach. I ran my own lead for that and it works fine. ( ignore the red and black leads, just jumper wires ) I think my solution to the blinking oil light might be to get the correct sensors for the Cabriolet but I would imagine that since it's from an 87, it's still some variation of the DOPWS.

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
You have to remember the one on the side of the head is for Low oil pressure at idle and oil pressure to oil pressure gauge. The White one on the oil filter flange is for low pressure at RPM of 2000 or above.

On my blue Cabby, the oil light would occasionally flicker. The differences is that I tested mine with a gauge so I knew it was flaky electrics, the Cabriolet has a oil filter flange with 3 bungs, one for oil temp, black, one for the white gauge, and a spare. So I took the bung out, and moved my oil pressure/ low pressure idle switch to that position, and placed the bung in the side of the head. And the thing stopped the intermittentant crapola.

You may want to source a 90ish oil filter flange.

241 - 260 of 263 Posts