Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

141 - 160 of 229 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
You have really lowered those engine mounts.....:) .

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Mounted module and coil in the spot where they were on a donor motor. It's not as close as it looks in the photo, but it may need tweaking. Permanent? not sure.
Pretty sure the lead from the pump switch should attach here at the wire labeled "IGN", most of the diagrams I have seen agree.
Haven't found "gas" underhood harness, but as far as I know, the coil and starter are what need power. I do have to figure out the water and oil switches, but we'll get there.

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
Those are usually mounted on the firewall to prevent water splash.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #146 (Edited)
Those are usually mounted on the firewall to prevent water splash.

Good point. I wasn't sure where they sit in the factory cars and the mount was built well and available. Didn't think of water.
I need a few bits before I can crank it up, but I am most of the way there.
Gotta figure out vacuum for booster, lead for the electric choke, and I guess where to mount the ignition.

*EDIT*
There were actually two rubber plugs in the firewall, and they look right.
Actually found pictures that looked this way. Maybe gonna have the module in the rain tray area.

·
Registered
370 Posts
functioning glow plugs are probably the first confirmation needed---I've had good luck using a vacuum pump at the hose exiting the fuel pump to remove air from the system---unless I'm wrong, going from gas to diesel would be a lot easier conversion--the conversion from fuel injection to carburetor could be expensive--to convert to gas fuel injection from diesel would seem extremely difficult, for me, anyway--Dodge Colts and Plymouth Horizons (1980-81?) had a 1.7 VW engine that was carboraeted, otherwise you're looking at a conversion kit from fuel injection to carburetor; a new intake manifold and carburetor for about $500 on Ebay---fuel injection is standard on rabbits when they're gas

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
The diesel was running pretty well until the headgasket went but it also had over 250k. It hasn't really been expensive, I haven't spent more than 500 including the engine, transmission, intake, and carb. The little stuff like hose and mounts and stuff adds up, but it's a little to turn back now. ��

The axles and alternator are back on. Radiator is next. Waiting on plug wires and some more little stuff, but I should be able finish the wiring and hopefully start it by the end of the month.

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
functioning glow plugs are probably the first confirmation needed---I've had good luck using a vacuum pump at the hose exiting the fuel pump to remove air from the system---unless I'm wrong, going from gas to diesel would be a lot easier conversion--the conversion from fuel injection to carburetor could be expensive--to convert to gas fuel injection from diesel would seem extremely difficult, for me, anyway--Dodge Colts and Plymouth Horizons (1980-81?) had a 1.7 VW engine that was carbureted, otherwise you're looking at a conversion kit from fuel injection to carburetor; a new intake manifold and carburetor for about $500 on Ebay---fuel injection is standard on rabbits when they're gas
Dodge Colts and Horizons were the first ones from a Dealer that had Factory Turbo, Seen quite a few in the Yards over the years. Euro versions of the Golf had a wide variety of engines/fuel that were never offered in the US I have seen Carbs on Caddys up to 93 in the UK forums, as well as different engine management.
We over here have a few versions that are cookie cutter from OEM over there, sky's the limit.
The diesel was running pretty well until the headgasket went but it also had over 250k. It hasn't really been expensive, I haven't spent more than 500 including the engine, transmission, intake, and carb. The little stuff like hose and mounts and stuff adds up, but it's a little to turn back now. ��

The axles and alternator are back on. Radiator is next. Waiting on plug wires and some more little stuff, but I should be able finish the wiring and hopefully start it by the end of the month.
I too had the engine that would blow a head gasket regularly about every 6months, and I got really good and quick at changing it. If I knew now what I didn't know then I would of changed over to ARP racing studs as they bite tighter in the block and probably only had to do it once... But even when I sold it back in 2000 I was still getting 45 MPG @ 330K miles.

While I love the smell of Diesel in the morning, the cost of diesel over the years is outrageous, I think the first tank I bought was about 50 cents/gallon. I do remember going from Decatur Illinois to South Haven TN on about 7.5 gallons of diesel @ 54mpg.... Now I can remember going from Atlanta to Illinois in my first 5sp Cabriolet getting about 42mpg... I only got 55mpg on my Diesel a few times on my Run from Decatur to Mobile Al, but I regularly got 55MPG on my 67 MG Midget on the Highway running to Chicago quite a few times.... Glad to see it all come together....

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
Success, congrat's.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I'm having a little bit of trouble adjusting a carburetor because I need a lead for the electric choke. Otherwise I think I've done a pretty good job. I need to wire up the headlight relays and possibly get new turn signal sockets for the front. Other than that things are looking good

Hotwire from the key on the coil. Should have been more obvious.

Little bit at a time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Wow, I thought 13s were hard to find in 2004 but I guess if I'm not buying a 20k tire I'm paying what 17s cost.

We live in a society

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
I understand that the 13's and 14's are getting hard to buy now as well they are a niche market.

Reactions: soultron

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Feeling like I really ought to completely clean out my tank. I pumped a lot of diesel out, but I know it sat a couple times and it might just be good overall. Gonna look up the process to drop it and go from there.
I put some struts on from some used parts I got from someone and they are in much better shape so that's figured out at least for a while. The car may have been on the original ones (275k) and these were maybe 10 (or so) years old. Still soft, but at least something is catching the rebound.

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
Feeling like I really ought to completely clean out my tank. I pumped a lot of diesel out, but I know it sat a couple times and it might just be good overall. Gonna look up the process to drop it and go from there.
I put some struts on from some used parts I got from someone and they are in much better shape so that's figured out at least for a while. The car may have been on the original ones (275k) and these were maybe 10 (or so) years old. Still soft, but at least something is catching the rebound.
When I changed both of my Cabbies Struts for the first time @ 120K on each, they still had the oil filled OEM Struts....The rears were so bad that my tires were cuffing from bouncing up and down....

The ride was so much improved, and since I bought LLW cartridges from AutoZone for the cars, they have been replaced twice at no cost to me....Gotta love those LLWs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Got some 14s with good tires, so that's alright for now.
I think I need to pull the steering shaft and adjust some things. I found the nylon spacer but it doesn't slip all the way down, so maybe I have don't have the bearing in the right place.
Gonna work on it tomorrow.
And maybe the tank.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just reworked my steering column and found the bearing race and the bearing itself pretty much toasted. All the potholes in the roads around here are hard on that manual steering knuckle and column. I am replacing both parts from MK1 but man are they spendy. But they are upgraded from OEM.

141 - 160 of 229 Posts