Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to change the left side boot. I'm not having much luck installing it over the rack flange or the rubber ring. I'd there some trick to this installation without removing the entire r & p?

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Well, when I did it, I marked the inner tie-rod where it meets the outer behind the nut, took the inner off.
I loosened the Rack off the mounts, I didn't remove it just loosensed it to gain wiggle room. Light application of Grease and rotate wiggle and push.
After securing the Bellows, I remounted the tie rod to the marks. Using Teflon tape to mark the position of the Nut and the rod.

On my P/S rack I also had to align the "expansion tube" that shuttles air between the bellows.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
How I have done it, on other cars, was to loosen the nut behind the tie-rod
end, then turn back to have it kiss the tie rod end, and then mark the inner
tie-rod right behind the nut. You can use tape, as long as it holds, and the
boot can slide over it... You will be taping on to threads, which is why Nylon
is the best way to go, as it will sink into the threads.

IF you happen to lose your mark, it's not ALL bad, as you will have clean threads
from the bolt, all the way to the end as the rest of them are inside the tie-rod
end.

Anyhow, with the nut loose and up against the tie-rod end, you spin the inner tie
rod so it comes out of the tie-rod end, then move the wheel, out of the way. Spin the
nut off the inner tie-rod, making SURE you have a mark as to where it goes back to.

Remove the old boot, if you didn't just rip it off...

Then slide the new boot over the inner tie-rod to the rack body. Clamp it to the rack
body. Put the clamp on the inner tie-rod side, but do not tighten it yet, as you still have
to spin the inner tie-rod back into the tie-rod end to the nut, and kiss them together.

Put the nut back on to the inner tie-rod, spin it back to your mark. Spin the inner tie-rod back
into the tie-rod end to the nut, and spin it till it kisses the nut. Then tighten the nut to
the tie-rod end.

No matter WHAT, the alignment will not be exactly the same. However, it will not be horrendous,
or barely noticeable. It should not adversely effect alignment if all went well.

It is a lot of work to replaced JUST a boot, I know, it's 90% of same work as if you were replacing
the inner tie-rod, or outer tie-rod end.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Easier than Removing and replacing the entire Power steering rack,,, which on a scale of 0-PITA is a +PITA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts