Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I blew a tire yesterday on the highway, and in the crazy bumpiness of that moment, the hood blew up, which was terrifying. Once we pulled over, we couldn't get it back down. It was getting stuck on one of the wipers, and also on the part of the body just below the wipers. Just to be able to get it home, I unbolted the hood (totally removed the hood from the car-- but left the hinges attached to the car). The hood latch itself still works, but the hinges seem stuck (they don't move up or down at all). The manual says I have to remove the hinges, and there's that weird clip on a pin? I can't see the thing at all, and am having a hell of a time. Wondering if, since after the hood blew up, it wouldn't go back down, if that means that some metal actually got bent somewhere and I need actual body work done.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,695 Posts
Chance are that you bent your hinges.

They are attached under the Windshield valance and have a self locking clip on them.
That is you have to lift the front edge of the clip off the post, then push the whole clip off the post.
The front edge is the key.

Here is the pest picture I could get you.

Clip Number 9 in the breakdown N 90047001
Hinge 161823301A

the Red is the factory hinge the Silver is from OLDSKOOL.com which is a hood lifting hinge.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The hood should never have done that. You are lucky. I would check to make sure everything is adjusted right and all the bolts are tight at the latch as well. And when you pop the hood release that you cant just lift the hood. Without pulling the release spring catch under the hood front. Your hood could be tweaked now. So I would make sure it is straight and no big bows in it at the hinge area. Cause just hitting a good speed bump could unlatch it now.

·
Super Moderator
10,695 Posts
I have seen that happen because the catch is loose, that is the part that goes in to the receiver on the front valance. Dirty or non-functioning safety catch, and or sticky hood latch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.