Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I begin a discussion of our restoration beetle project. Heres the beginning and why. Today 31st July is our wedding anniversary. My wife forgot the day for the 3rd year running so I suggested we called the bug Julie (JUL13 JUL=JULY 13= 31 BACKWARDS) you never no she may remember next time🤦‍♂️. Anyways I have brought julie for my wife as an anniversary gift and hoping to hand it to her on an anniversary to come like new, whether it be in a year or 2. I will be working on it most weeks starting next week with a full strip and label task. Our 2 sons (11 &12 ) loved our previous beetle and are buzzing to help with this one, I sold the last one stupidly and regretted it since so Im really buzzing for this project with my young sons and giving my wife a gem at the end of all the hard work.
Heres some images of what she is now.

·
Registered
336 Posts
so I begin a discussion of our restoration beetle project. Heres the beginning and why. Today 31st July is our wedding anniversary. My wife forgot the day for the 3rd year running so I suggested we called the bug Julie (JUL13 JUL=JULY 13= 31 BACKWARDS) you never no she may remember next time🤦‍♂️. Anyways I have brought julie for my wife as an anniversary gift and hoping to hand it to her on an anniversary to come like new, whether it be in a year or 2. I will be working on it most weeks starting next week with a full strip and label task. Our 2 sons (11 &12 ) loved our previous beetle and are buzzing to help with this one, I sold the last one stupidly and regretted it since so Im really buzzing for this project with my young sons and giving my wife a gem at the end of all the hard work.
Heres some images of what she is now.
View attachment 44039 View attachment 44040
all the reason to go for it man

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So me and my son went up to the unit this evening to get some bits for my working week ahead and we could resist getting a quick hour on JULIE .
here is some pics of what we found.

Passenger floor pan

Drivers footwell

Fibreglass jam filler from the hole in the drivers rear wheel arch you can just see the tyre tread through the hole

Passenger heater channel grill rotted out

Passenger rear inner arch

Under bonnet spaghetti junction. I think the newest part here is the speedo cable . ..

Let the fun begin

·
Registered
336 Posts
So me and my son went up to the unit this evening to get some bits for my working week ahead and we could resist getting a quick hour on JULIE .
here is some pics of what we found.
View attachment 44047
Passenger floor pan

View attachment 44048
Drivers footwell

View attachment 44049
Fibreglass jam filler from the hole in the drivers rear wheel arch you can just see the tyre tread through the hole

View attachment 44051

Passenger heater channel grill rotted out

View attachment 44052

Passenger rear inner arch

View attachment 44053
Under bonnet spaghetti junction. I think the newest part here is the speedo cable . ..

Let the fun begin
Minor stuff,just ask Rusty BUg, dont get discouraged man, hang true to your mission, you got this

·
Registered
336 Posts
Like you confidence dude 😁 we gunna do this 👍
good to hear,and yep you all can. Dont let it overwhelm you man,look at this one piece or area at a time...complete it and move to the next. A lot to be said for salvageing one of the claccics, rather than just shelling out money for one ready to go, even if you can afford to, its called pride in setting a goal, even a difficult or expensive one, because when its over you have a lot more than just a car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In short though, whos to say when you buy something that looks amazing that its been done to standard that warrants the price... least this way I know everything will be the best it can be 👍😁

·
Registered
336 Posts
In short though, whos to say when you buy something that looks amazing that its been done to standard that warrants the price... least this way I know everything will be the best it can be 👍😁
yep,sure hope you post your project for us see, personal question is your son helping with the project?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both my sons will help they are aged 11 and 12 they loved the last beetle we had... they like getting stuck in with dad 👨 😀.
Hopefully how I'm posting is correct and will just keep this discussion going if that right 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
336 Posts
Both my sons will help they are aged 11 and 12 they loved the last beetle we had... they like getting stuck in with dad 👨 😀.
Hopefully how I'm posting is correct and will just keep this discussion going if that right 🤷‍♂️
am
thats great , just right age to learn also, am sure your postsare ok, if not a moderator will let you know,but i see no problem. You might find the pin thru JBugs,search online for them, hoethat helps

·
Registered
68 Posts
As bad as it looks, it is better than you described on your initial post. When you said bottom ten inches gone I pictured something buried midway up the doors in mud or wet leaves for years. Looking forward to following your progress.

·
Registered
446 Posts
remember to keep a detailed photo record of the strip down, you will be pouring over them when you come to re assemble weeks /months ahead, your memory may be good but a picture is better, and we want to see them too. I use paint to resize my images to 600 pixels across, that way they take less time to load up, and your pictures will be uniform size.

·
Registered
68 Posts
remember to keep a detailed photo record of the strip down, you will be pouring over them when you come to re assemble weeks /months ahead, your memory may be good but a picture is better, and we want to see them too. I use paint to resize my images to 600 pixels across, that way they take less time to load up, and your pictures will be uniform size.
Very true. I took photos of everything on my old truck project. Really came in handy having photos of before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great advice thankyou

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's surely a rust bucket. Make sure you have lots of money because this one is going to break the bank. Sell it quick. Buy a nice car with the money you had budgeted for this project and save yourself lots of grief.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts