Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Are you finding most rusted thru areas are somewhat compartmentalized to individual panels which would be NICER? I know very little about welding, will you be a combination 9f MIG, TIG, Stick, FLUX? Good foresight for sure putting the side braces in before any cutting started. Looks like it's coming along really well, continue posting for sure

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
the simple vent door and selector knob is worth keeping, never throw anything away till the car is fixed up, and other well known restoration mantra. there's only one, the left side one is missing and they don't come with the new heater channels.
heater channel vent door on worktop.jpg

it looks ok from the top, but here's what it looked like underneath...
bottom of rusted out heater channel.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep, pretty much gone. The floor vent( that plastic thing) is very accessible here in the States. Is the flapper valve that serves the rear seat floor area part of the new heat channels, I just replaced the left and right control cables on mine, flappers were good, cables shot

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Are you finding most rusted thru areas are somewhat compartmentalized to individual panels which would be NICER? I know very little about welding, will you be a combination 9f MIG, TIG, Stick, FLUX? Good foresight for sure putting the side braces in before any cutting started. Looks like it's coming along really well, continue posting for sure
yes Sir that's my Baby. MIG welding is all I have experience in, all you really need for auto restoration, I'm not planning on restoring a Chieftain tank any time soon, but if I do I may learn some of the other welding disciplines.
yes sir that's my baby.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
the jacking up was n't enough, started making creaking noises like you may have heard if you'd been trapped in the hold of the Titanic as she went down, so "stopped right there, thank you very much" let's give it a go from here.
jacking up front body from floor.jpg

sliding in the right side heater channel, just not quite enough room....
new heater channel not fitting up in front.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
tantalising glimps of what the door sill will look like.
tantalising glimps of what it will look like the door sill.jpg

back to the drawing board, some carpentry needed to make some body tressles.
whats stopping heater channel front.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
yes Sir that's my Baby. MIG welding is all I have experience in, all you really need for auto restoration, I'm not planning on restoring a Chieftain tank any time soon, but if I do I may learn some of the other welding disciplines.
View attachment 42801
You referring to a Chieftain RV gas tank, or Chieftain Military tank, lol, just made me wonder if you are into Rvs or not?

·
Registered
97 Posts
tantalising glimps of what the door sill will look like.
View attachment 42804

back to the drawing board, some carpentry needed to make some body tressles.
View attachment 42805
Yeah, I don't like those creaky noises and groans when any part of me is under a car. Better safe than trapped for sure. Things appear to be aligning well. Doubt y9u every have need for them, but these are the 3 VW parts houses I use here in the States:
JBugs.com. wolfsburgwest.com. Rocky Mountain Motorworks. All have an on line catalogue, prices very reasonable for the most part, and have a great Help Line for questions and such, great no questions return policy.
Am spending the morning getting things together to complete the self contained, portable Model Assembly Case I mentioned, hopefully can post a few pics later today. Stay safe and enjoy your project.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I purchased two repair panels, listed as around £15 each, but to my surprise the Quarter panel is on special offer and only cost me £6, result!
quarter panel rhs repair panel held up.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
today was a hard day to be honest, but in the end I was succesful in seperating the body from the chassis. Even in my tight space it is quite simple and if I can do it anyone can.
body to chassis seperation.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
now I can wheel out the chassis to leave the body high and dry, but first I have to re weld the exhaust mount on my Morris Minor Pickup. It's getting dark now, time for a beer.
gap between body and chassis.jpg

rear body joint comes free bjpg.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
today was a hard day to be honest, but in the end I was succesful in seperataing the body from the chassis. Even in my tight space it is quite simle and if I can do it anyone can.
View attachment 42852
now I can wheel out the chassis to leave the body high and dry, but first I have to re weld the exhaust mount on my Morris Minor Pickup. It's getting dark now, time for a beer.
View attachment 42853

View attachment 42854
Sounds like you deserve a beer or 2, or 3. Did you use a ceiling hoist to raise the body or floor jacks? Man double check it for stability please. So any frame work needed or just body/she'll work?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Sounds like you deserve a beer or 2, or 3. Did you use a ceiling hoist to raise the body or floor jacks? Man double check it for stability please. So any frame work needed or just body/she'll work?
thanks for the lookout Wayne, you can never be overconfident when it comes to suspended weight. Still, now it's up there it exposes so many area that were previously hidden. I had to work on my Morris Minor Pickup exhaust bracket today, needed welding back in place, it took me away from my Beetle obsession, still got the exhaust done, got rid of that annoying rattle, and on the test drive she just had that restrained exhaust note, isn't life great with a classic car to take for a spin.
about and out corrected.jpg

Alice in Portsmouth.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
so with the remains of the day, I only had time to look and assess, make plans and wonder...what Am I doing!

then calming down, drew up positive plans of what to do next.
left side seperation.jpg

right side speration and rust damage.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
so with the remains of the day, I only had time to look and assess, make plans and wonder...what Am I doing!

then calming down, drew up positive plans of what to do next.
View attachment 42888

View attachment 42889
Love your truck man, what year is SHE? Yeah you should have great access for checking things out and making repairs. Lol. I have those, "What did I get into, more so with the RV I am re doing than the beetle though. Stay safe and enjoy,

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Love your truck man, what year is SHE? Yeah you should have great access for checking things out and making repairs. Lol. I have those, "What did I get into, more so with the RV I am re doing than the beetle though. Stay safe and enjoy,
Thanks Wayne, The Moggy is called Alice, and she left the Longbridge factory/car plant in 1968.

to get the chassis away from the body I need to remove the rear wheels and place two casters on a plank to draw it out from under the body so the tops of the tyres clear the bottom of the wheels arches and floor pan, some carpentry to do next then.
dolly wheels.jpg

101 - 120 of 152 Posts