Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

161 - 180 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
got a lot done today, first of all measure twice and cut once...
first cut above on inner arch.jpg

this is the old innner panel cut free
cut out piece.jpg

out came the old rusty heater channel
NS channel cut down.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
from inside...
wheel arch panel from inside.jpg

that front piece looks rusty, but the brown is some kind of sealant, white paint underneath it and strong metal under that. The inner panel welds to this.

wheel arch panel from inside b.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I think they are the same gauge, quite good quality. I've used a Milwaulkee clam to hold the hammer to the panel as a heat sink while I weld it in.
heat sink.jpg

lots of nice thin card collected for marking out repair pieces to fill the various holes in the body.
cardboard for templates.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
the left side heater channel offered up for check of fit, there's still some shaping to go on at the front end, but it'll go on just fine, then I can lower the body onto a dolly and wheel it about easier.
NS heater channel being offered up into postion bjpg.jpg
NS heater channel being offered up into postion cjpg.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
the left side heater channel offered up for check of fit, there's still some shaping to go on at the front end, but it'll go on just fine, then I can lower the body onto a dolly and wheel it about easier.
View attachment 42986 View attachment 42987
Looks like a great fit, sounds like it's going together pretty well, don't you love it when a plan comes together without too many snags. So what up next after the heat channels and fender wells?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
once I have the left and right side heater channels in it'll be time to place the bottom of the car onto a wood tressle with large caster wheels, then I can move it about to tackle the rest of the bodywork.
front near side rust junction.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
big move in the right direction today, I got the left side heater channel tac welded in, checked measurements and I'm feeling quietly confident. Removed the timber supports and it's still in place, strongly held.
both heater channels tac welded in.jpg

I was rather fortunate that both of these datum points survived to allow accurate alignment heater channel to B post. Next up, I'll be finishing all the welds and dressing them, but for now, my Wife Jane and my daughter Kay want to drag me out for a country walk to the Gunn Inn.
left side datum point.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
big move in the right direction today, I got the left side heater channel tac welded in, checked measurements and I'm feeling quietly confident. Removed the timber supports and it's still in place, strongly held.
View attachment 42992
I was rather fortunate that both of these datum points survived to allow accurate alignment heater channel to B post. Next up, I'll be finishing all the welds and dressing them, but for now, my Wife Jane and my daughter Kay want to drag me out for a country walk to the Gunn Inn.
View attachment 42993
View attachment 42992
View attachment 42993
Great that everything stayed aligned for you. Enjoy the break, enjoy your family time

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
this morning was spent welding in the B post and continuing welding the front left inner wing to heater channel joint, very important to the overall strength of the body shell.
left side datum point fns b post.jpg

left datum point fns b post pre clean up.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #172 (Edited)
welds dressed, but there is loads more to do in this area of course.
rear of heater channel welded in.jpg

but the strength is back in the car body, enough for me to start building the dolly that the body will sit on, the timbers for it will run underneath the heater channels. That big nut is going to be flush with the wood surface. The dolly wheels measure 120mm diameter.
odd dolly wheels.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
welds dressed, but there is loads more to do in this area of course.
View attachment 43000

but the strength is back in the car body, enough for me to strt building the dolly that the body will sit on, the timbers for it will run underneath the heater channels. That big nut is going to be flush with the wood surface. The dolly wheels measure 120mm diameter.
View attachment 43001
Sometimes the prep work is more intense than the project itself, guess it builds patience, and character right

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
so back to it after a few days working in my day job. and major success , Mickey is on four wheels again, castor wheels, but the body is now mobile.
on four dolly wheels a.png

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
the heater channels are resting on thick beams attached to the dolly wheels. I'd take the whole lot outside for a picture, but we have storm force winds raging in West Sussex at the moments, so I'm keeping Mickey safe indoors for today.
on four dolly wheels bpng.png

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
today the weather was back to normal, time to get the body out into the weak winter sunshine.
moving out a.png

chance to sweep out the workshop floor and have a sort out and a tidy up.
moving out b.png

all back nice and tidy, with the body moveable I can create a nice work space, and the next area of work is right hear on the right hand quarter panel, rusted out at the bottom few inches.
rear os qp a.png

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
measure twice and cut once, I have to shave off four inches of metal from the repair panel, trying to keep as much original metal as possible.
rear qp cut away.png

quite crispy in there, so after a splash of krust to chemically treat the rust inside there it was time to offer up the cut down repair panel.
offering up cut down panel.png

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Ive pre drilled the bottom lip for plug welding it to the heater channel side wall, this will make the body an even stronger structure.
drilled holes.png

comparison with the old cut out bottom edge and the cut down repair panel
new and old qp.png

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #179 (Edited)
using the butt weld clamps, the trick here is to loosen them off half a turn, knock, tap or shove the panel up tight and into the right position, then tighten the wing nuts and lock it in place.
clamped up a.png

check it out from all angles, make sure you've not missed something.
false start edge of panel.png

and I have a 3mm mistake, you notice I switch metric and imperial with ease, best of both worlds. So I have three milimetres to shave off the top of my repair panel to make it one level line with the bottom edge of the door, but not yet, I'm out of time and I'm volunteering to help restore a historic WW1 boat at Portsmouth tomorrow, I'll take pictures of that and keep you up to date on that too. stay tuned.
five mil too long.png

·
Registered
136 Posts
using the butt weld clamps, the trick here is to loosen them off half a turn, knock, tap or shove the panel as tight and into the right position, then tighten the wing nuts and lock it in place.
View attachment 43047

check it out from all angles, make sure you've not missed something.
View attachment 43048

and I have a 3mm mistake, you notice I switch metric and imperial with ease, best of both worlds. So I have three milimetres to shave off the top of my repair panel to make it one level line with the bottom edge of the door, but not yet, I'm out of time and I'm volunteering to help restore a historic WW1 boat at Portsmouth tomorrow, I'll take pictures of that and keep you up to date on that too. stay tuned.
View attachment 43049
Glad the weather finally cleared some for you. I tend to really make az mess of my work space to. Lol, everything comes to a screeching halt for cleanup , usually accompanied by several hours of re locating tools I have misplaced as well.
A real bang up job you're doing, gonna be a solid machine when done. The more I see you doing with the welding the more I wish I had taken it up. Was amazed how cheap the whole floor pans, including the jack support and seat tracks are, they run about 95$ each over here. Really interested in the boat/ship repair you are helping with, hope to see pics.

161 - 180 of 229 Posts