Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
144K views 1K replies 23 participants last post by  Rusty-bug-man 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I'm new to Beetles but not rust bashing and car restoration, slow time in my own workshop/shed.
someone I know is selling this sorry old rusty bug.

I would want to return her to factory spec, I'm not into custom or soup ups. Unlike the previous owner who was using it as a donor car for the monstrosity sitting to her right.

he told me the moulds for the front fibreglass wings for the "thing" are over there to the right under that moss and ivy, yes I thought, "and they can stay there too"

See less See more
#191 ·
Driving along in my Morris Pickup when she back fired and spluttered to a halt at the side of the road, one new Condenser (back in the distributer later) and she's back to her old self. So what is inside the Condenser, lets take a cutting disc to the old failed one and see if we can spot what went faulty with it.
Auto part Wire

cut in half and this is what we can see.
Auto part

it's just a solid metal.
Metal

#193 · (Edited)
treated myself to an Impact wrench from Halfords for ÂŁ15, quite an awesome bit of kit as it turns out, well worth the price tag.
Auto part

took care of some rusted in door hinge screws I thought would never come out, look at the state of this one, I had to cut a slot in it with a dremol.
Auto part

some of the door hinge screws came out easier than others.
Screw Fastener Auto part Household hardware Metal

#201 ·
the bottom door hinge is frozen solid, I'll have to take the pin out,seperate the two halves of the hinge to clean them up and get them moving freely.
Rust

here is a view of old and new hinge panels, the rusty one had to be cut free of the frozen hinge, one last rusted in screw the impact screwdriver couldn't get a purchase on. there's not a lot of metal holding that new screw plate in is there? I'll have to improve the welds on that, it's designed to move and allow adjustment.
Latch Auto part Door handle Automotive exterior Bumper

#204 ·
Progress all depends on the bottom hinge now, the hinge was wire wheeled off in an attempt to get it moving freely, no dice. hitting it forward and back with a hammer is the only way to get it to move, but it's still too stiff, the pin is rusted solid, so the decision now, get it out. Starting by drilling out the rivit heads that hold it in place.

the new hinge wasn't cheap, ÂŁ48 for one! at this rate I'll be making a hinge pin removal tool/device. the pins are only ÂŁ8 each.
Auto part Hardware accessory Metal

#215 · (Edited)
so after work today I had a go at trial fitting the right hand door, with the trolley jack taking most of the weight and a
Car Vehicle Classic car Subcompact car Zastava 750
jiggle here, a shove there. got the hinges to line up and got some screws in.

the door closed and the door gaps are good, epic ! the bottom panel of the A post can be seam welded in now.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Vintage car

great feeling of accomplishment..... feels like...

#216 ·
so after work today I had a go at trial fitting the right hand door, with the trolley jack taking most of the weight and a View attachment 43124 jiggle here, a shove there. got the hinges to line up and got some screws in.

the door closed and the door gaps are good, epic ! the bottom panel of the A post can be seam welded in now.
View attachment 43125

grewat feeling of accomplishment..... feels like...
Fantastic, Happy for you

#223 ·
so out with the body, spun it around outside and wheeled it back in nose facing inward.
View attachment 43133

it was easy to manhanle it single handed on those large dolly wheels, even over a uneven not so smooth surface
View attachment 43134
You are still m9ving along at a quicker pace than I expected, I think you are enjoying this way to much man, lol. Mickey is gonna be top notch when done.