Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

181 - 200 of 659 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
started work on a First world war Battle of Jutland survivor Steam Cutter 26, saved the ships company by towing their lifeboats ashore when HMS Falmouth was sunk.
long view int.png

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
her bow upper planks on the Port side had to be replaced as the originals had rotted out, months of work getting her to her present condition, when she's done she will take paying fares and chug the public around the famouse port.
port bow upper timber planks ext.png

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I still had time at the end of my day to weld in Mickey's new quarter panel in.
part dressed off weld.png

I cut off three milimeters from the panel to line it up with the door bottom edge, time to dress those welds and plug weld the bottom edge against the heater channel.

·
Registered
358 Posts
View attachment 43054

I cut off three milimeters from the panel to line it up with the door bottom edge, time to dress those welds and plug weld the bottom edge against the heater channel.
3 wa
View attachment 43054

Wow, interesting about Steam Cutter 66, may try to pull up her history. Great you are part of preserving such an important part of history.
Your project with Mickey seems to be going very well

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #189

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Driving along in my Morris Pickup when she back fired and spluttered to a halt at the side of the road, one new Condenser (back in the distributer later) and she's back to her old self. So what is inside the Condenser, lets take a cutting disc to the old failed one and see if we can spot what went faulty with it.
faulty capasitor.png

cut in half and this is what we can see.
faulty capasitor cross sectioned.png

it's just a solid metal.
faulty capasitor cross section.png

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
so it either works or it doesn't.

anyway, back to Mickey the rusty Beetle. using a flap disc to merg the two metal panels together.
flap disced off.png

tiny holes will need to be filled in with weld before I can move on
holes in weld.png

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #193 (Edited)
treated myself to an Impact wrench from Halfords for £15, quite an awesome bit of kit as it turns out, well worth the price tag.
impact screwdriver.png

took care of some rusted in door hinge screws I thought would never come out, look at the state of this one, I had to cut a slot in it with a dremol.
mangled door hinge screw.png

some of the door hinge screws came out easier than others.
screwed screws.png

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
door off and incredible access to the A and B piller bottom edges.
drivers door removed a.png

the door hinge at the bottom was well gone, had to cut some metal away just to get this mess out.
mangled bottom hinge.png

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
the repair panel for this area includes a new hinge housing.
new lower hinge panel.png

with the door out of the way I get great access to finish this area off nice and tidy, once I've welded that panel in.
new hinge panel; and area inside for repair.png

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
so with the heating channels welded in the support bracing is now superfluous. So out they came.
door off bracing cut out.png

the welds were ground back to flat metal.
weld ground down.png

181 - 200 of 659 Posts