Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

221 - 240 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Were the red and blue areas patch/repairs or just prior paint colors you think. Man everything is really looking spot on. When the time comes are you going to do a total overhaul of the engine or trry to find a running replacement?
Hi Wayne, I'll be doing a complete motor strip, inspection, rebuild, right here, Not sure when, I've got to get the body out, about turn and place it back inside the workshop to carry on with the other side, More cutting out and welding in to come.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #222 (Edited)
so out with the body, spun it around outside and wheeled it back in nose facing inward.
turning about to work on nearside a.png

it was easy to manhandle it single handed on those large dolly wheels, even over a uneven not so smooth surface
turning about to work on nearside b.png

·
Registered
174 Posts
so out with the body, spun it around outside and wheeled it back in nose facing inward.
View attachment 43133

it was easy to manhanle it single handed on those large dolly wheels, even over a uneven not so smooth surface
View attachment 43134
You are still m9ving along at a quicker pace than I expected, I think you are enjoying this way to much man, lol. Mickey is gonna be top notch when done.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Thanks Mate. It's easy to do bits now and then and just down tools when I'm tired and leave everything where it is for me to pick up where I left off, probably moving along quicker this way than epic long hours on it only on days off from work. plenty of space around the area I'm working on, when it's mobile, you can move it where you need it.
turning about to work on nearside c.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
seam welded in, more to do here, might try some lead loading on the weld seams, later on though, for now I'm leaving the A post to work on the left side outer quarter panel behind the door.
A post panel as close as intpng.png

how high? I hear myself ask, rather a good question, it's a balance between saving original panel metal, the cut encompassing all the rust holes, and trying to keep the original shape of that inward curve. so 80 mm up, that's the line I chose.
which line to go with.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
the inside of the rear quarter panel ready for some rust treatment
inside the rusty panel.png

the new panel held in with butt welding clamps, ready for tac welding into position.
but weld clamps on qp ns.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
at last I found some Beetle Time, My Sister was visiting from the Good ole USA, so I downed tools for a few days, couldn't work on my Bug when Little sis was over from Virginia. so back to the rear left Quarter panel. she's in, but oh, what distortion, that will need some tweeking later, not to mention filler much later on.
left rear quarter sligt distortion.png

but onward we must move, and leave tweeking for later, the left A pillar. marking out the pillar to see the best cutting option, then transfer that to the repair panel and cut that first.
repair panel modified.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
holding the modified piece up to the a pillar to measure and mark off what needs to be cut off there. here the cut falls short of the curve, lesson from last time, trying to get the curve to match up, so I left it in place, it's strong original metal.
cutting out rusted A post.png

the modified repair panel trial fitted for size, pritty good fit, so far
left side a pillar test fit a.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
from inside the repair panel needs bending to meet the original metal
left side a pillar int.png

not forgetting some cans to fit to bring the heat up to the windscreen
cutting out and opening up rusted A pillar.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
jubilee clip on the bottom of a small drink can.
qubilee clip on can.png

fitted to direct the heat up the A pillar to the screen vents
j20 can on heater channel output.png

looking at the a pillar from inside, the heat comes up here and if left undirected would simply heat the front boot/trunk luggage area. plenty of rust to treat in there.
inside top of a pillar.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
so cut to fit as close as I can get it to match up, the A pillar bottom hinge repair panel.
cut to fit.png

so, tac welded in, quite strong enough to take the weight of the door for a test fit, then if happy with the door fit, I can seam weld it in. Blown a few small holes, the hazzards of working thin body panels. need to weld those up.
a post tac welded in.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
before that, I need a door, and what a door I have, it's in such a mess it's a mini project all by itself
left door before.png

this is the bottom hinge. (wipes fevered brow)
messy bottom hinge.png

the good news, and when restoring a Beetle, there is always good news, somewhere along the line, this area is covered by the repair panel inner, I'm holding it up at the bottom of the picture, so I'll be cutting that rusty mess right off out of the way
new panel passes bottom hinge area.png

·
Registered
174 Posts
from inside the repair panel needs bending to meet the original metal View attachment 43169

not forgetting some cans to fit to bring the heat up to the windscreen
View attachment 43170
Well glad you made your presence known, was about to send the Bobbies out to check on you, lol. Glad you had family time with your sister from Virginia, our son lives in Virginia.
Everything looks great, coming together nicely, great job keeping edges and seams well aligned and square. Not easy

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Well glad you made your presence known, was about to send the Bobbies out to check on you, lol. Glad you had family time with your sister from Virginia, our son lives in Virginia.
Everything looks great, coming together nicely, great job keeping edges and seams well aligned and square. Not easy
thanks Wayne, we had a great time with my sisters visit, took her to see Henry the VIIIth's famous Tudor shipwreck the Mary Rose at Portsmouth, here she is with our old Mum and Dad by the VE day Statue.
statue of ve day.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
cutting off the bottom inside of the door, off fell the rusty mess of the hinge with a bump to the floor, didn't put up much of a fight.
cut off hinge.png

the door bottom edge is now only holding on by one 10mm bolt.
cuts to door bottom inner.png

that is held in by a captive 10mm nut, came right out without a fuss.
bottom bar mount.png

the bar mount is spot welded to the inner door piece, it doesn't come with the repair panel so I'll cut it off and save it for repair work later on.
bottom bar mount spot welded on.png

221 - 240 of 302 Posts