Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

241 - 260 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
something not quite perfect here, the door repair is a different profile to the original door shape.
door bottom mismatch rear left.png

same the other end too.
door bottom mismatch front right.png

and what's this? how come I didn't notice this central brace piece on the repair panel, it doesn't go anywhere.
door bottom miss match bottom centre.png

not on the original cut off edge, is the repair panel wrong? or do I have a rogue door?
original cut off bottom edge.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
using the butt clamps to hold the repair panel in place to test for fit, actually not much deviation at the front.
butt weld clamps in use forward.png

a bit more deviation at the rear, but a little more adjustment might get me there.
butt weld clamps in use rear ward.png

it's a case of a knock here, a tap there and I'll get it where I want it for seam welding
butt weld clamps in use.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
start made welding the bottom on, the fit is ok, more work on those welds
bottom inner start weld.png

bottom inner front start weld.png

bottom bracket, cleaned up ok, just needs welding in
bottom bracket inside.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
nasty looking boil there, let's see what's underneath it.
bubble up under the painton outer door skin.png

flap disked off and a lesson for me here, I'll have to take the whole panel back to bare metal and treat it, feels a bit medical this, "Nurse, I said Prick his Boil" !
bubble flap disced off what lies benieth.png

the trailing edge of the outer skin is rustey too, 30mm by 30cm, needs new metal welded in there too.
rusted out trailing edge outer.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
the bottom outer repair offered up for fit, massive difference between this 1972 door thickness and the repair panel, the repair is 1 mil thinner.
bottom outer repair panel.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
the smell of burning material and deep black deposits when I tac welded the panel on. should have removed this trace of insulation first Der!
burning smell and black deposit.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
The edge of the door between the hinges is rusted out, had to flap disk it off to see just where it extended to.
wire wheeled off leading edge of door.png

cut made 30cm long by 30mm wide.
cut made to leading edge.png

the rusty metal strip removed and the underlaying metal rust treated.
leading edge rust curred.png

·
Registered
174 Posts
nasty looking boil there, let's see what's underneath it.
View attachment 43211

flap disked off and a lesson for me here, I'll have to take the whole panel back to bare metal and treat it, feels a bit medical this, "Nurse, I said Prick his Boil" !
View attachment 43213

the trailing edge of the outer skin is rustey too, 30mm by 30cm, needs new metal welded in there too.
View attachment 43212
looks like coming together,a nip here a tuck there, but to be expected right. been off line a while had to replace my phone and tablet, couldnt transfer the original phone number, what a hassel.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
here in the Uk the site was down for maintenance, unsure if that was just a UK issue, or a wide problem. anyway, back to the door, welded in the repair strip.
door edge curve cu.png

turning my attention to the hinge, as soon as I can trial fit the door I can seam weld that A post bottom hinge area in on the main body of the car, so here goes, starting with the rivits that hold the hing in place.
after some long time drilling out the rivits, they dropped right through after a tap with a drift and hammer.
top hinge is out.png

so, new hinge, and a hole to drill in the new part, I want four point of contact for the most strength.
top hinge new hinge one hole less.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
a picture taken inside the door shows the hinge panel has held off from major corrosion, but the door panels either side are due for some Krust rust treatment.
inside the door.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
everything looking good, the unexpected always surfaces right.
how true to life, and in particular my Bug you are there Wayne, the holes being tapped for the hinge screws. two turns forward, one turn back to clear the swarf.
tapping the hinge holes a.png

the hinge fouls the handles, so a spanner is used on the square part of the shaft instead.
tapping the hinge holes b.png

screws in place.
hinge screws in.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
only to find the bottom hinge is 15mm too low, so some adjustment and refitting the hinge, and on it went. Major yehar! step in the right direction.
pax back door in position in the frame.png

this means the doors can come back off, and I can finish welding up the seams on the a pillars, then I can start on the massive rusted out gaps at the rear body either side of the back seat area.
pax door back in, the interior.png

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
doors back off and safely stored out of the way safe and dry. Now I know they fit, I can move on the the next area for restoration....
doors up and out of the way.png

the next area of interest
rusted out jagged holes left side.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
went to my local VW Heritage centre, their counter is closed due to Covid 19 Virus, it's effecting everything.So I can only order VW parts online and have them mailed out. On the way there my exhaust rattled on my Pickup , one of those tasks I've been meaning to attend to.
exhaust bracket ratte.png

I purchased a Ford Transit van exhaust bracket mon E bay, you know ehen everything just works. I had the welder ready, but it all bolted up with no hassle. Minus one exhaust rattle later....
exhaust bracket ratte fixedpng.png

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Are you neededing to replace whole floor pan or patch only
I'll be going for the whole floor, might as well, don't fancy being Fred Flintstone when the rust parts company with the rest of it.
Due to Corona virus, the shoreham VW Heritage parts counter is closed, so it's click and collect now.
so the rear cross member part looks like this at £48.95 each side
rear cross member.jpg

the rear heater closing panel looks like this, at £45.95.
rear heater closing panel.jpg

the area they repair looks like this, so which one to choose, little in it cost wise.
rusted out jagged holes left side.png

241 - 260 of 302 Posts