Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

261 - 280 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'll be going for the whole floor, might as well, don't fancy being Fred Flintstone when the rust parts company with the rest of it.
Due to Corona virus, the shoreham VW Heritage parts counter is closed, so it's click and collect now.
so the rear cross member part looks like this at £48.95 each side
View attachment 43277

the rear heater closing panel looks like this, at £45.95.
View attachment 43278

the area they repair looks like this, so which one to choose, little in it cost wise.
View attachment 43279
Probably same rust out on both sides, right? Its all going together we'll man, great job

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
with the VW Hewritage Centre shop counter shut, the streets empty, the tea shops closed, the supermarkets shelves empty it feels very apocalyptic, this song by Belfast band Them and Van Morrison seems appropriate, as, it's all over now, Baby Blue.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
But it's not all doom and gloom, my rear body Cross members arrived by mail order, only ordered them yesterday, I'm dead chuffed.
new panel right side covers hole.png

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
light scim of easy sand 1 over the battered and welded in plates, just to see it all smoothed together, satisfying sight.
light coat of easy sand.png

next up, the rust hole the other side, everything the same as before except as a mirror oppposite.
now for the right side.png

and relax, for a bit, a tune about a car that won't start.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
welded in and the rusty jagged hole cut back and filled with new steel, light smear of easy sand to blend it all together.
right side rear easy sand.png

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
I'm looking toward the front end now, planning what needs doing here, the bulkhead lower panel and the spare wheel well and forward bottom edges of the inner wings, but there's lots of strong steel in there too.
front end gv.png

a bit of rust treatment on some of it and it'll be kept, like the upper well and bracing bars.
front end gv b.png

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm looking toward the front end now, planning what needs doing here, the bulkhead lower panel and the spare wheel well and forward bottom edges of the inner wings, but there's lots of strong steel in there too.
View attachment 43299
a bit of rust treatment on some of it and it'll be kept, like the upper well and bracing bars.
View attachment 43300
Looks great man

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
little more than just a cut out and weld in this time, the holding bar, that keeps the hinge plate from falling down inside the a pillar to be lost forever, has rusted away.
hinge plate.png

a new bar welded in, now that is secure I can close up the hole.
hinge plate with bar.png

closed up and tac welded in place
ugly mother ragged hole welded up.png

261 - 280 of 289 Posts