Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

321 - 340 of 579 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
spent Saturday morning using the deck lid to try to line up the valance panel.
View attachment 43451

looking from underneath there is a lot of re positioning of the rear clip and the deck lid to get them all lined up before I can tac weld the inner wings into position.
View attachment 43452
glad you are feeling better and can get back to your project, enjoy, but pace yourself man

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
glad you are feeling better and can get back to your project, enjoy, but pace yourself man
thanks Mate, the difference a few days make, breaking the task down into manageable stages, first cut out and replace the lower rusted out metal the shelves weld to.
right side engine bay lower repair finished.png

tac welded the rear clip into position, still held at the top with clamps,
starting to weld in b.png

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
a part side seam weld in, making some progress, but slow progress, but I'm not grinding to a halt, never surrender!
right rear inner wing part welded.png

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
next up, this nasty little rust hole between the rear scuttle panel and the top of the inner right wing.
nasty little rust hole.png

made short work of it with the cutting disc, cut back to nice strong steel edges.
cut away rusted portion.png

odd thing, I thought this foam was Mouse nesting material, but it looks fabricated not chewed, so did VW insulate this area with foam in the factory around 1972, I wonder ?
cut away rusted portion and foam filling.png

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
butt weld clamps making themselves useful
butt weld clamps on new METAL.png

the clamps held the new metal piece level with the cut edges, so when it's welded in it's nice and flush.As you can see the shoulder will need to be re-fabricated where it meets the top ends of the deck lid.
Welded in mew metal.png

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #329 (Edited)
cheers Wayne, I'm feeling much stronger and able now. Thank medical science for Anti biotics. so this nasty little rust hole next.
rusted out section of rear scuttle left side.png

the disc cutter can be used with incredible accuracy, cut just inside the pencil line.
cut out rusted hole.png

comparison between the cut out rusted piece and it's replacment, salvaged from an old panel cut away previously.
new and rusted left upper rear.png

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Nice sunny day, and I'm feeling great, got Mickey out into the sunshine for a overview.
Mickey's new tail end.png

the Chassis has been waiting patiently under a green plastic sheet, not touched it since the separation, can't wait to get stuck in with some break cleaner to see what I have, and what I have to replace.
Mickey top and bottom.png

·
Registered
344 Posts
Nice sunny day, and I'm feeling great, got Mickey out into the sunshine for a overview.
View attachment 43493

the Chassis has been waiting patiently under a green plastic sheet, not touched it since the separation, can't wait to get stuck in with some break cleaner to see what I have, and what I have to replace.
View attachment 43492
still strange to me to see the steering and pedals on the right for UK drive

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Once I got the last glass out I noticed some rust on the lower part of the frame
window frame ros rust.png

after a wheel off using a flap disc, the frame is in good health. Except for the hole at the back.
window frame ros rust wheels clear.png

not the case with the other side, two large holes to be dealt with
rust holes in r n s window frame bottom.png

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
first the dremol was used where the angle grinder couldn't fit.
using the dremol on window hole one.png

the cuts made by the dremol
hole one cut around.png

the remains picked out
hole one cut out.png

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
as the blocks for butt clamps would be lost in the void, I used masking tape to hold the repair in place and to stop it falling into the void.
hole one masking tape b.png

the repair welded in, more welding and grinding needed to make it flush.
hole one welded.png

the next hole is more complex as it's on the forward corner.
hole two.png

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Cheers Wayne, your support has made all the difference.

the welded up hole was leveled off with a grinding wheel and given a light smear of plastic filler, then sanded smooth. More sanding ahead when everything is welded up and ready for the big sand off.
hole one sanded smooth plastic filler.png

the corner hole with it's curved repair piece, I'm going to make this in two pieces as it curves in two planes.
corner piece new metal.png

Here it is tac welded in place, notice the raised bobble like welds, to fast a wire speed for a too low output. I'm holding the second piece up in the picture, it's not ready for fitting yet, more shaping needed.
corner second piece offered up too wide.png

·
Registered
344 Posts
Cheers Wayne, your support has made all the difference.

the welded up hole was leveled off with a grinding wheel and given a light smear of plastic filler, then sanded smooth. More sanding ahead when everything is welded up and ready for the big sand off.
View attachment 43507

the corner hole with it's curved repair piece, I'm going to make this in two pieces as it curves in two planes.
View attachment 43509

Here it is tac welded in place, notice the raised bobble like welds, to fast a wire speed for a too low output. I'm holding the second piece up in the picture, it's not ready for fitting yet, more shaping needed.
View attachment 43508
looking real good man.A loy of effort and thought are required to something like thisright, alot of people woud have just filled the defects with plastic filler, only to have it bubble off a few years down the road. your repairsshould hold up for along while. great job

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
looking real good man.A loy of effort and thought are required to something like thisright, alot of people woud have just filled the defects with plastic filler, only to have it bubble off a few years down the road. your repairsshould hold up for along while. great job
thanks Buddy, plenty of rust treatment is key to hold back the inevitable march of rust on old cars, the other key is constant vigilance, watching for the gradual attempts of mother nature to reclaim our vehicles.

starting to shape the corner piece, 1 weld, 2 shape, 3 weld, 4 shape......repeat.
CORNER WELDED IN.png

321 - 340 of 579 Posts