Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

461 - 480 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
I removed the left wheels to reduce weight, placed levers into both ends, and with help from wife and daughter it flipped up dead easy. here I've wedged wood props against unmovable surfaces just to give me confidence it wont come down as I'm working on it.

cutting away the rusted panel, the rust tumbled out like a waterfall. This old washing up bowl is half full of rust dust.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
with the panel mostly removed, the upper interior of the frame head can be examined, and it's strong, so just the lower lips edges to renew.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
the napoleons hat has similar repairs needed, the lower edges need new metal welded in.

the frame head doesn't look too bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I removed the left wheels to reduce weight, placed levers into both ends, and with help from wife and daughter it flipped up dead easy. here I've wedged wood props against unmovable surfaces just to give me confidence it wont come down as I'm working on it.
View attachment 43829

cutting away the rusted panel, the rust tumbled out like a waterfall. This old washing up bowl is half full of rust dust.
View attachment 43830
the napoleons hat has similar repairs needed, the lower edges need new metal welded in.
View attachment 43832

the frame head doesn't look too bad.
View attachment 43833
View attachment 43829

View attachment 43830
I would support it to the overhead with ropes or ratchet straps. I would turn around and trip over the wood braces in no time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
with a coat of krust (bosforic acid?) the inside of the frame head looks a lot better.

the bolts that hold the front beam suspension assembly onto the frame head (FH from now on) could be undone and taken off, it would make fixing the FH a lot easier.

But I need the suspension on there to give me reference points when I weld on the new FH base panel. Then I can take it off and rebuild the front suspension unit with new bushes, seals,track rod ends ect.

in this picture below, you can see the tubes inside the FH that take the bolts.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
finally got the last remains of the base ground off, ready now, for a trial fit of the new base plate.

held up, the panel is a heavy solid piece, so will need a solid weld join. The napoleon's hat needs welding first.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
clamping the base on, I realize the central support frame has had it, I'll be renewing the whole piece.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
so off with it! the first cut is the deepest.

slicing it off with a disc cutter till it's right down

finishing off with a grinding disc

the new part won't arrive for 10 days, so there's no rush, tomorrow the other side.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #472
the chassis back down again.

the shadow of the front right wheel in rust

the last remnants of the napoleons hat on the right side of the tunnel, ready to be ground off.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #473
I consider myself fortunate that the frame head itself is sound, If I had to replace it, the alignment to the tunnel would have been crucial to ensure the front suspension beam, that bolts to it, lines up. Or else no amount of steering alignment adjustment would have helped. It would crab along the road sideways. So I'm lucky.The heavy frame base will add strength to the area.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your posts are inspirational. I am supposed to get some other projects done before starting my bug but am slipping in a little. I got mine up on stands and after watching your progress I looked under my pan today. Mine looks solid. No holes anyway. Mine is newer and has been here in the desert for sometime.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #475
Your posts are inspirational. I am supposed to get some other projects done before starting my bug but am slipping in a little. I got mine up on stands and after watching your progress I looked under my pan today. Mine looks solid. No holes anyway. Mine is newer and has been here in the desert for sometime.
well John, you will be further inspired by this rust- to new metal- picture. all of a sudden you get leaps forward, and today is just such a moment. Ok, Ok, I'm as surprised as you that the parts lined up so well and bolted on.

now I can weld up the Napoleon hat, weld on the frame head base, weld on the floor pans.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #476
cutting off all that rusted metal and renewing the napoleons hat was a major decision, and has proved the right decision too. now I can weld it all up, then, unbolt the front suspension and rebuild it with new seals and bushes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #479
I took it all apart, stripped and repainted the surfaces that will be hidden and boxed in, re-assembled and put the first weld in.

461 - 480 of 480 Posts