Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

501 - 520 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #501
next up, the filthy little steering box. There is a tab washer that can only be seen after a wire wheel has passed over it.

" Muck and filth everywhere Mr Warrick!"

the back of the steering box is held on with a bracket that the bolts enter.

just a sea of filth

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
with the front beam stripped off, I can now clean it up the same way and see how much rust damage it has suffered.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #507
real nice job thru out
thanks Mate. Today was cleaning off the beam and giving it a coat of K-rust, now a chance to assess the welding needs of this item. first, the worst.

these cost £345 for a new one, I may consider that, but first I want to try salvaging this one and save my restoration budget a hit. this is the other side.

to repair this I will have to remove the torsion bars. But the main thing in favour of this unit, it's straight.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #508
a Guy a few towns North West of me in West Sussex in a village called Haslemere was selling a new VW front beam on E bay, only wanted £65, it's in almost new condition. But there are subtle differences. Here it is resting on top of the rusted out older one.

I'm having to do welding of a different area, there is no damper mount, steering butt stop or tow eye.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #509
Even so, it's a better option, even with the side mounted shock tower, than repairing this hole on the old one.

·
Registered
336 Posts
thanks Mate. Today was cleaning off the beam and giving it a coat of K-rust, now a chance to assess the welding needs of this item. first, the worst.
View attachment 43925

these cost £345 for a new one, I may consider that, but first I want to try salvaging this one and save my restoration budget a hit. this is the other side.
View attachment 43926

to repair this I will have to remove the torsion bars. But the main thing in favour of this unit, it's straight.
View attachment 43927
a Guy a few towns North West of me in West Sussex in a village called Haslemere was selling a new VW front beam on E bay, only wanted £65, it's in almost new condition. But there are subtle differences. Here it is resting on top of the rusted out older one.
View attachment 43930

I'm having to do welding of a different area, there is no damper mount, steering butt stop or tow eye.
View attachment 43931
View attachment 43932
but you can adapt it right?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #512
the new one is out of the picture, it belongs to a pre 65 Beetle with pin rather than ball joints, the height of the two tubes is 7inches, the old original ball joint front beam tubes are 8 inches apart, the new one won't bolt up to the frame head. Back to the drawing board as Dick Dasterdly once said.

·
Registered
336 Posts
the new one is out of the picture, it belongs to a pre 65 Beetle with pin rather than ball joints, the height of the two tubes is 7inches, the old original ball joint front beam tubes are 8 inches apart, the new one won't bolt up to the frame head. Back to the drawing board as Dick Dasterdly once said.
sorry man, but probably could sell on craigslist

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
sorry man, but probably could sell on craigslist
yes I'll put it up on E bay or Gum tree. It's in such good condition, but it's from up to 1965 so I doubt there's many takers out there. Never mind, lesson learnt.

out with the torsion bars from the original ball joint beam.

covered in grease and as good as new

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #517
before....

it's great welding thick steel, no blowing holes, like you get welding thin body panels. I'm one click down from the highest MIG voltage setting.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
I never learned, sure wish I had
never too late to learn something new and useful Wayne, especially to do with vehicles.

The drivers side of the beam has been welded and finished using grinding and flap (sanding) discs to shape it and smooth it out.

a daub of garage door paint to stop the bare steel from flashing rust

501 - 520 of 570 Posts