Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

521 - 540 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #521
with the worst area of rust damage made good, I can finish the beam off with this last piece of rust damage repair, holding up the card template for fit, now I can cut that out in steel and weld it in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice work. Yes never too late to learn and welding is very useful. I torch brazed for many years in refrigeration trade but never arc welded until fairly recently. A neighbor helped me with his mig welder and when I mentioned buying my own he told me another neighbor had one just like his but could not use it with his pace maker. Made a deal and with a lesson from first neighbor I'm all set. It takes practice which I don't get enough of.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #523 (Edited)
I guess welding is one of those skills you improve the more you do, this project has been intense for welding, I hadn't had the welder out for some time and it took a while to get the hang of it again. My project was so full of holes a lot of folk would have dismissed it as a viable option for restoration. Loads of welding!

At last the final piece welded into the front beam, that's it, the front beam is ready for use.

I can't bolt it up yet, the frame head lower edge needs a narrow slat let in there to block water and road grit from entering the front of the frame head and causing internal rust.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #524
welded in a three piece repair to the lower front edge.

time to finish the weld and shape it up

finally done, when the paint is dry I can bolt on the repaired front beam.

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
his hard work and perfection are for sure an inspiration. The two of have almost convincened me to try welding, for the money i have hired it done for i could have a top of the line welder and lessons for sure
go for it Wayne, having a MIG welder sitting in a dry corner is never a waste, you will always need it for little jobs that crop up from time to time, either vehicle, fence, gate or household.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #529
With the beam bolted back on, it was time to re-fit the torsion bars, after a frustrating hour wondering how you do it, I took a break and watched this very simple, direct, no beating about the bush Video on it, the guy is a workshop hero.

after employing his method, I had them both slotted in there in short order.

there was a moment, when I realised I had inserted the bars with the dimple on the wrong side, eyes tightly shut, count to ten, remove them and start again. But at the end of the day, they are back in and I'm ready for the next task.

·
Registered
336 Posts
With the beam bolted back on, it was time to re-fit the torsion bars, after a frustrating hour wondering how you do it, I took a break and watched this very simple, direct, no beating about the bush Video on it, the guy is a workshop hero.

after employing his method, I had them both slotted in there in short order.
View attachment 43976

there was a moment, when I realised I had inserted the bars with the dimple on the wrong side, eyes tightly shut, count to ten, remove them and start again. But at the end of the day, they are back in and I'm ready for the next task.
View attachment 43977
you gotta love YouTube, and thinking about the welder

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #531
steering box bolted back on.

the steering box arm position. when I took it off I took note of the position of the butt stops, they are adjustable on the end of a threaded rod, I've not adjusted them, so I can use them now as a datum point for the steering box bolts.

and the other side of the steering lock....

unsure at this point if that is a oil refill nut

·
Registered
336 Posts
steering box bolted back on.
View attachment 43979

the steering box arm position. when I took it off I took note of the position of the butt stops, they are adjustable on the end of a threaded rod, I've not adjusted them, so I can use them now as a datum point for the steering box bolts.
View attachment 43980

and the other side of the steering lock....
View attachment 43981

unsure at this point if that is a oil refill nut
View attachment 43982
i think is actually a damper adjustment, for dealing with small amount of slack in the worm gear inside, are usually grease packed , by the way you put thesteering box on thewrong sideagain,lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you mean the locknut with screw slotted bot inside it is to adjust the slop out of steering gears. There has to be oil or grease in the box though. On my old Fords it is gear oil. Most gearboxes you adjust by finding center of travel. Easiest way is by turning steering wheel all the way to left then counting turns to right then go back halfway. Loosen locknut and tighten screw until it bottoms out then back off a little. Hold in place and tighten locknut.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #537
Yes. They don't talk good English over there either.
"By Jiminy, and Gawd bless,er Majesty, me old boat race and me old **** Linnet, that be larks of which I aint erd guvner and that's the truth".

Britain and American's separated only by a common Language and steering wheel sides.

Anyway, back to the Beetle, quick test fit of the left floor pan half, then measure, mark and drill ready for plug welding it on.

·
Registered
336 Posts
"By Jiminy, and Gawd bless,er Majesty, me old boat race and me old **** Linnet, that be larks of which I aint erd guvner and that's the truth".

Britain and American's separated only by a common Language and steering wheel sides.

Anyway, back to the Beetle, quick test fit of the left floor pan half, then measure, mark and drill ready for plug welding it on.
View attachment 43985
looks fantastic man, so all the body repairs done, you see any time frame for reassembly

521 - 540 of 570 Posts