Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

541 - 560 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #542
ran out of welding wire, so got on with something till the next order comes in. That white residue after welding may suggest a galvanised finish, great for parts protection from rust, but a nightmare health issue.

working on de rusting the pedal plate.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #543
here's a lesson for anyone starting welding, and I've been welding for several years, and I still made the same old mistake.

so, purchased some wire from my local store, fitted it to my MIG and started welding on the rear joint of the left side floor pan, spluttering and noisy, is how I'd describe the new wire, adjusted wire speed and amps, still the same noisy experience, the welds are strong but messy.

I run my welder gassless, that's to say I don't use a bottle of inert gas that covers the weld with gas to help the weld flow in a neutral gas environment, leading to neater welding. I use a flux cored wire that releases a neutral gas as it welds., checking the packaging of my new wire and lo and behold...

I picked up welding wire 0.8mm for mild steel, all fine, but no mention of it being flux cored gassless operation, my mistake, a misguided purchase if ever there was one.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #544
so my mission, should I choose to accept it, is to run a weld along the floor pan as shown by the yellow marker I've cleverly added to my picture, I say clever, being a tech dud, this is as clever as I get.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #546
Done! the floor is welded and painted, I'm dead Chuffed with it.

when that has all dried off and gone hard, it'll be time to take a good look at this area next.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #548
Next step, get the chassis on level axle stands and take off the last wheel,

off with the starter motor, only one stud, so I'll have the missing stud and nut on the shopping list.

quick check suggests good teeth, time to look it over later

Next up, cut that securing wire and disconnect the gear change.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How will you level it? Stand under each axle and another under transaxle? I put four stands under my pan and back tires are almost touching floor. Have same swing axles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How do buddy. So I have spent the last few days grabbing 5 mins reading when I can you blog going through 28 pages and 549 posts... i really really please and chuffed for you and Mickey. The guys from that are commenting along the way keep the things you are doing noticed. You doing a great job and totally understand why you are do it to the best it can be. I.also have just brought a rotten beetle to give to my wife, I have done one before but not to the extent of this one I'm going to do. I have the budget I have the tools space and experience although it was some time ago. The thing I lack is time but like you perfection can't be rushed. I asked the foeum how far should I go with this beetle and one guy said walk away and by a good one. :cautious: this deflated me ... after reading more of your blog im right back up thinking if everyone thought of giving up or classic would be soon gone. I genuinely hope to park our bugs at a show sometime in the years to come... i will also do a blog I think and I will kee reading yours. I also hope I get the chit chat from members albeit I think there's only 5 members on here. Stay safe buddy.
Heres a pick of mine to start , she looks better than she is bottom 12 inch like are rotten in all wheel Wells and a and b posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
How do buddy. So I have spent the last few days grabbing 5 mins reading when I can you blog going through 28 pages and 549 posts... i really really please and chuffed for you and Mickey. The guys from that are commenting along the way keep the things you are doing noticed. You doing a great job and totally understand why you are do it to the best it can be. I.also have just brought a rotten beetle to give to my wife, I have done one before but not to the extent of this one I'm going to do. I have the budget I have the tools space and experience although it was some time ago. The thing I lack is time but like you perfection can't be rushed. I asked the foeum how far should I go with this beetle and one guy said walk away and by a good one. :cautious: this deflated me ... after reading more of your blog im right back up thinking if everyone thought of giving up or classic would be soon gone. I genuinely hope to park our bugs at a show sometime in the years to come... i will also do a blog I think and I will kee reading yours. I also hope I get the chit chat from members albeit I think there's only 5 members on here. Stay safe buddy.
Heres a pick of mine to start , she looks better than she is bottom 12 inch like are rotten in all wheel Wells and a and b posts View attachment 44038
Adie, like i said before go for it man, hope to followyou also, happy restore

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #552
Adie, take your time and try and finish each session on a positive, some small victory, not always possible, but if you do it in easy stages small victory's are always achievable, don't let it overshadow family life, let it fit in, not the other way around.
Don't listen to the nay sayers, they are just a bunch of lightweights. when you start your rebuild blog, you will get nothing but encouragement from Wayne, John and myself, but the best guy to solve the problems on the way, is you.

I've had a short break to read E.M Nathansons The Dirty Dozen, great read. Now I'm back on it. soaking the bolts in penetration oil and marking up a nice size box for the drums and brake parts.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #553
marking the axle so I can re assemble it in the same place for the axle stand position, my workshop floor is far from level.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Adie, take your time and try and finish each session on a positive, some small victory, not always possible, but if you do it in easy stages small victory's are always achievable, don't let it overshadow family life, let it fit in, not the other way around.
Don't listen to the nay sayers, they are just a bunch of lightweights. when you start your rebuild blog, you will get nothing but encouragement from Wayne, John and myself, but the best guy to solve the problems on the way, is you.

I've had a short break to read E.M Nathansons The Dirty Dozen, great read. Now I'm back on it. soaking the bolts in penetration oil and marking up a nice size box for the drums and brake parts.
View attachment 44041
There is something almost poetic about reading about a suicide mission while tackling your rusty bug project.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #555
There is something almost poetic about reading about a suicide mission while tackling your rusty bug project.
John, that's just classic mate.

the problem I had today was getting the hub nut off, back on went the wheel and in went a tire lever to jam it from turning while I tapped it off with a large adjustable Spanner and a lump hammer, off it came....

back off with the wheel and took a look at the drum, seized tight. The only way to get it off was with a chisel and lump hammer, after many hits, taking shifts on it with help from my Daughters other half Cameron, off it came...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #556 (Edited)
the inside looks a bit grim, I'll try that shot again with some extra light from my workshop lamp, hate using flash.

that's better, a bit of fill in light improves the detail in a shot like this.... by the Cringe, what a mess, no wonder it wouldn't come off. three down one to go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
John, that's just classic mate.

the problem I had today was getting the hub nut off, back on went the wheel and in went a tire lever to jam it from turning while I tapped it off with a large adjustable Spanner and a lump hammer, off it came....
View attachment 44043

back off with the wheel and took a look at the drum, seized tight. The only way to get it off was with a chisel and lump hammer, after many hits, taking shifts on it with help from my Daughters other half Cameron, off it came...
View attachment 44044
Hub nuts have a lot of torque. Six foot piece of pipe on wrench and pull as hard as you can to tighten or loosen. Or so a friend that had back wheel come off told me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #560
Today was a Victory, gearbox out, at last. The first two bolts holding the outer end of the swing axle came off easy, then the third just wasn't moving, so it ended up getting split with a angle grinder cutting disc.

after the backing plate and the handbrake cable were released.

left the left side brake plate on as it was close to the wall and hard to work. Managed to unscrew the castle nut off the hub after an epic effort.

there's always one more thing, and for me it was the earthing strap, after that it was bombs away.
onto the work top for a clean up, tomorrow.

541 - 560 of 570 Posts