Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

621 - 640 of 659 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #621
Is that how vw backing plates mount? Seems odd to see brake cylinder on side. Better gave Teddy check it.
Hi John.
you can see the three mounting bolts in the center of the backing plate in that shot, due to the spacing of those bolt holes, there's no other way it will line up, But Teddy is looking it up to see I haven't boobed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi John.
you can see the three mounting bolts in the center of the backing plate in that shot, due to the spacing of those bolt holes, there's no other way it will line up, But Teddy is looking it up to see I haven't boobed.
You are correct. I looked online. Thicker spring on cylinder side is correct as well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #623
tapping out the bearing, oil seal and hub, it will delay me re-fitting the front wheels and moving onto the gearbox refit, but may as well change them now while it's easy.

"What is that annoying tapping noise, can't a little fella get a bit of peace and quiet on a Sunday Morning"

the smaller race is in this view down into the drum hub at the bottom there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #624
I've made the mother of all foul up's, I've known about this a while and it was a slap the forehead moment when I notived.

Americans and Germans and anyone else who drives on the right side of the road may not have noticed, because to you, it's perfectly normal to have the master brake cylinder mounting holes on the left side.

a cardboard template shows me where the new holes have to be made

I guess any Brit, importing a Californian rust free classic beetle would need to do this to convert it over to right hand drive. But for me, it's hang my head in shame time.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
Out with the 40mm Auger. I bought this in B&Q, it comes in two parts made by Erbauer, and you couldn't get less helpful packaging, neither was the member of staff aware that the drill bit doesn't come with the securing nut that holds the cutter to the Auger, how dumb is that. lucky I had one in the spares box that fitted.

cuts through ok though, using WD40 to stop it jamming up

cut through well

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #627
nice neat hole right through to the other side, Yeah! and that neatly cut out circular piece will be great for.....

oh yes, that will patch up quite nicely sir, suits you sir!

Alright, Alright don't get All cockey, it was your Ass up in the first place.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #629
I've bolted the thick plate down that sits under the pedals, I'm now trying out different peddle locations. it's thew accelerator peddle, that I'm puzzling over?

the yoke goes through the new hole in the right place, right up the jacksey of the master cylinder.... ooh Mrs.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #630
the pedals seem to be right- ish, but there's still something not quite right. Looking on you tube, I seem to be the only guy in the world with peddles like these.

the accelerator bar travels inside the main bottom bar/ tube, emerging on the other side of the tunnel. I've attached the throttle cable link to it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #631 (Edited)
Going back to how it was before I took it all apart, I can see how far back the throttle pedal is mounted.

the floor plate seems to be in the right location

here is how it looks now for comparison, but the pedals are very stiff.
peddle location latest.png

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #632
unbolted it all and took it off again to take a closer look.Here is the underside of the brake and clutch pedal.

so what is the purpose of the notches and spurs I've annotated?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #635
final location of the peddles, I've ordered a new spring and hinge bottom panel for the accelerator peddle, they will all have to come off again when I fit up the cables.

moving on, the gearbox moved to where I can get at the bell housing interior for it's final clean up.

scissor off the old gaiters, not much grease in there.

check position of both handbrake flexible hose mounting to the axles

the rear rubber blocks for the gearbox mount have seen better days, the left hand one has started to separate, so I'll be renewing them both.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #636
front wheels on for stability for fitting the transmission next week, all the twisting and turning with it on axle stands at the front, best avoided.

the nose cone of the transmission has a worn rubber seal, add that to the list.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #637
List of parts ordered, that order should arrive in two to three days. The rubber gaiters that cover the swivel joints of the swing arms are rather good.

not so impressed by the metal straps that need a special tool to fit them, I can't get them tight enough with ordinary pliers, so I'm binning them and replacing them with zip ties.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #640
the gearbox and axles are light enough for a one man lift, but bulky enough to get that one man, ie, Me, breathing heavy. But it's in general position on the support arms.

the nose cone rubber boot is a mystery, should it go into the hole from inside,as it's wide flange suggests, or go on the nose and butt seal against it.

even after being placed in hot water to soften it, it was too lage to fit from inside, so on the nose it went, when the gearbox is moved forward into position it seals up fine.

621 - 640 of 659 Posts