Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

681 - 700 of 742 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I saw on Wheeler Dealers program to check for crankshaft end play to determine vw engine condition. I purchased a transaxle housing in hopes of making a test stand to run mine out of the car. Mine was said to have main seal leak. I have two more engines and two '61 bugs in the long waiting line. Actually three engines. One '61 has seized 36 hp motor.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #682
funny that you mention leaks. I sprayed the pulley wheel and belt with wd40 and it turned without sticking, no plops or clonks either. So encouraged to go on, I popped off the right side valve cover, no major problems in there.

just some calcified and hardened oil.

the opposite was true on the left side, off came the cover followed by a rush of escaping oil, all over my already oil stained floor. I need to get some more sand to soak it up.

·
Registered
371 Posts
checked the dipstick, the oil was just on the tip, low, but it has had oil, so I placed a big adjustable spanner on the bottom pulley wheel nut and gave a heave, it turns fine.
It was stuck last winter, so living in doors in my workshop has thawed it out.
View attachment 44392

the engine gave a full rotation before the fan belt stuck, no problem, that was always going to the bin.
View attachment 44393
Looking great, you have come a long way. You plan on a complete rebuild of the engine or can't tell yet?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
I feel the need to inspect the pistons, the engine moves freely now I've eased it up. but a full strip down may result, depending on what I see in there, I might need a new crank case, or just a rebuild of gaskets and seals, oil pouring just from one side is a cause for concern at this time. Like to get those spark plugs out, but my long socket won't reach.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #685
Moved the engine up onto the workmate bench as it has slat holes to allow the oil to drain out, Smelly, stinky old oil. It's back on the dolly now and ready to start stripping it down.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If it has been idle a long time you will likely have a lot of oil leaks. Especially if you replace old oil with modern detergent oils. If you tear it down for seals, might as well check the internals while apart. Easy for me to spend your money though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
Thanks John, I may well be looking at the piston tops for wear and cracks. The tinware off the front.

comparison with the part I have from the deal stored in my shed, too many subtle differences for it to fit.

so I'll try to renovate the original tin, I'm going to need a bigger bowl.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
with the tin out of the way I got a socket on there and gave it a few turns, rotated smoothly, then a screwdriver against the pulley wheel, no deflection at all.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
with the rear tinware part in the dip overnight, the rust scrubbed off with a toothbrush.

after a coat of krust, left to hang out and dry.

easy afterrnoon after my thursday five mile run, and a nice comfortable seat in the conservatory with... a bottle of tasty IPA, check, sexist bottle opener, check, compelling campaign narrative about the end of Big Two, Check. Reading glasses, now where did I leave them? ah yes they're on my head, Check.

·
Registered
371 Posts
with the rear tinware part in the dip overnight, the rust scrubbed off with a toothbrush.
View attachment 44416

after a coat of krust, left to hang out and dry.
View attachment 44417

View attachment 44418

easy afterrnoon after my thursday five mile run, and a nice comfortable seat in the conservatory with... a bottle of tasty IPA, check, sexist bottle opener, check, compelling campaign narrative about the end of Big Two, Check. Reading glasses, now where did I leave them? ah yes they're on my head, Check.
Amazing how well everything is cleaning up with you dipping process, I have got to try it

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #692
yes it does a very gentle job, but even so, it needs metal to be there in the first place, here are the holes, only in one place.

the spare has that same area in good steel, what a shame it's a different design, cut and weld?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #695 (Edited)
yes It feels like I won't find one like this anywhere. so here we go first step marking and cutting out the rusted out piece.

using this cut free part as a template.

using a thick marker pen to show where to cut the donor piece

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #698
next off, the carb and attached pipes.The overhang of the pipe makes a uni joint on the socket spanner handy.

681 - 700 of 742 Posts