Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

701 - 720 of 742 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #701
Brilliant, I'm so pleased with the repair I made on this, saved an original part and some of the restoration budget.

next off, the Solex carb

I've got an engine stand on the way, starting to realise you can't easily strip a VW engine without one. Also on order, the rebuild kit for this, looks like it needs it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
pulley wheel off, fan belt removed.

off with the clutch plate

I need that flywheel off to get the stand bolted on there, how does that come off?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #703
new and old valve covers.

into the electro dip goes the old one.

rust gone after a scrub, and given a coat of Krust.

so in goes the rusty clutch plate.

·
Registered
128 Posts
slide the clutch disc off. Should be bolts behind it. Easier to use an impact wrench. Otherwise block engine from turning.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I wouldn't. When I did my son's the replacement clutch was complete with disc, pressure plate etc. No core exchange either That was a long time ago though. Whatever it has for pilot bushing or bearing very important as well.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
In the meantime my Morris Minor 1000 Pickup needs a little TLC, the rear bed get knocks and rust spots are Krusted as soon as they appear, it's a partchwork of black spots..

my local carpaint shop does bespoke cans with any colour you need.

easy to use as I sprayed the whole car in Cellulose when I restored it in 2009..

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Did they make trucks with wood sides too? I remember a cute girl in my high school drove a Morris Minor truck but it had wood like the Travelers. Was that a wagon converted?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
Did they make trucks with wood sides too? I remember a cute girl in my high school drove a Morris Minor truck but it had wood like the Travelers. Was that a wagon converted?
It didn't leave the factory like that, probably a local modification. They did sell chassis cabs to carriage companies, back in the day.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
Oh joy Lads, it's here!

checked off the parts list

time to get building, am I allowed to be having this much fun?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Our standard engine stands don't work without an adapter. I don't have one either. Neighbor has one. Have to see what his looks like. No hurry for my engine.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #718
I may need to buy an adapter then, ok, first of all gotta get this flywheel off, need a 36mm socket, I'll be back....

·
Registered
128 Posts
yes. A machine shop can mill the surface as long as there is enough metal left. Just like brake drums. If it is only surface rust, not worn from use, you can block sand it clean. Has to be dead flat to work properly.

701 - 720 of 742 Posts