Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

721 - 740 of 742 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
yes. A machine shop can mill the surface as long as there is enough metal left. Just like brake drums. If it is only surface rust, not worn from use, you can block sand it clean. Has to be dead flat to work properly.
thought so, have turned drums and rotors, and shaved heads,just never seen or heard of a fly wheel before

·
Registered
371 Posts
It is because we live in the age if automatic transmissions. I'm guessing most young people can't drive manual transmission cars.
For sure, don't know what they are missing,lol. Knew a guy that replaced his clutch and pressure plate, his fly wheel looked like a spider web from all the heat cracks, didn't change it, eventually came apart . ripped right thru the bell housing and floor board and firewall, lucky he wasn't hurt

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #724
while the I wait for the tools to arrive to remove the flywheel, I have time to clean up the Carb.

using brake cleaner to clean up the outside, need to get some carb cleaner to do inside.
the muck is just sliding off...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #725
just watching some carb videos on You tube, I may have to adjust the coil spring to make the butterfly plate return.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would try cleaning and lubricating all external linkages and parts. My old Ford truck has a manual choke. I had an issue with choke not returning to wide open. After adjusting a few times, I finally decided to disconnect cable and oil it up. When I disconnected, found carburetor did same thing without cable. Sprayed exterior lineages and I think a lithium spray and all well now. This was after a carburetor rebuild a while back that I had to repeat after engine rebuild because our wonderful Californian environmentaly friendly gas with alcohol ate up the float needle and seat. Because carburetor was clean I only used spray carburetor cleaner on jets and passages.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #727
the 36mm socket has arrived I just need this now and I can get the flywheel off using the impact wrench and bolt on the engine stand Yoke.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #730
this flywheel bolt has taken it's toll, at 217 ft lbs, it's broken my torque wrench, bent two steel tubes, and caused my impact wrench to become impacted. and still it hasn't budged a fraction, time to get a serious extension bar.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #731 (Edited)
so Today I purchased a long lever with 1/2inch socket join, this alone wasn't enough to shift that nut,

but with Isaac Newton in mind, I also brought from my local DIY store, a washing line pole, two six foot lengths that join together.

a child could have loosened that 217 foot pounds nut with this setup, off it came dead easy. Result !
bolt off yaeeeha.png

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #732
the flywheel came off with a bit of jiggling, with one peg in the wheel and two in the mount, Result!

on goes the flexible mount, bolts on dead easy.

then with a little help, on it went to the engine stand, and the lock peg went in with an audible click, Result !

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #733
it's only taken me a week ! but it's there, the sweet taste of...one more step forward.

now I can get around it to start taking it apart.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #734
back down with a bump, all the fixings are rusted shut, the exhaust bracket bolts are just shearing off.

broken fixings, something tells me they will all need replacing with new.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #735
the rusty flywheel just lifted out of the electro dip, the rust all turned into black solid matter ready for a coat of Krust.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #737
most nuts are chisel damaged getting them off.

but the end result is always the same, off it comes.

the whole lot came off in one piece.

the worst area of the heat exchanger pipe

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #739
like an explorer going deeper and deeper, once the tinware is off, I can start dismantling the valves

and when the heads come off, what will the piston rings be like?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #740
knowing that the engine turns over smoothly, and that there is no play on the bottom pulley wheel, I'm optimistic about the condition of the engine, just got to get this rusty metal off to check.

721 - 740 of 742 Posts