Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

61 - 80 of 577 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks Wayne, I'll have to drag those boxs out and takeanother look through them.

today was taking out the front and rear windscreen glass panes. placed them swiftly up in thr loft out of the way in a safe space.
View attachment 42734

View attachment 42735
You re really charging ahead at a quick pace, that happen when you get bit by the " bug, lol. Gonna start working on my interior next. Got new heater control cables to install, then the rst is mostly upholstery type stuff. I found some of older white/cream colored dash gauges, really think they would look great, want to add a small tach, oil temp gauge, amp meter, and fuel gauge with the white dial faces to finish the dash off. I have some upholstery experience so plan to do the seats and headliner myself, wish me luck, may need it.
Don't blame you for securing the glass work well out of the way, that could bve costly to replace or at least over here it is. Are you rear side windows stationary/fixed type or the swing outs, mine are fixed, wish were fold outs. The sell a kit to convert to fold out, but almost $200.00 USD , each.
Along with all the spare parts I got with my beetle, it hgad an old 8 track player, that sure brought back memories, thankfully it works, waiting for a new drive belt for it to arrive.
SO what do you think you will take on first, the flooring or WHAT? Gonna post my email here for you if you ever want to correspond directly ok. [email protected]
Giving some though to going two tone with thge paint job, have seen a few and checked out som e on the web , they look good. Well stay in touch, have a great weekend and a great 2020qa

·
Registered
337 Posts

You re really charging ahead at a quick pace, that happen when you get bit by the " bug, lol. Gonna start working on my interior next. Got new heater control cables to install, then the rst is mostly upholstery type stuff. I found some of older white/cream colored dash gauges, really think they would look great, want to add a small tach, oil temp gauge, amp meter, and fuel gauge with the white dial faces to finish the dash off. I have some upholstery experience so plan to do the seats and headliner myself, wish me luck, may need it.
Don't blame you for securing the glass work well out of the way, that could bve costly to replace or at least over here it is. Are you rear side windows stationary/fixed type or the swing outs, mine are fixed, wish were fold outs. The sell a kit to convert to fold out, but almost $200.00 USD , each.
Along with all the spare parts I got with my beetle, it hgad an old 8 track player, that sure brought back memories, thankfully it works, waiting for a new drive belt for it to arrive.
SO what do you think you will take on first, the flooring or WHAT? Gonna post my email here for you if you ever want to correspond directly ok. [email protected]
Giving some though to going two tone with thge paint job, have seen a few and checked out som e on the web , they look good. Well stay in touch, have a great weekend and a great 2020qa
Th0ught you may appreciate this poster I ran across

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Cheers Wayne, in answer to your question, first, floor or body? I'm bracing up the body ready for the removal of the rusty heater channels.
Here's the first cross brace, made from scrap steel channel I scrounged from a neighbour, clamped in and level .
cross brace clamped in.jpg

welded in
cross brace welded in.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I'm undecided on the left and right side brace locations, considering this kinda height..
welded to the cross brace that will be three points of contact, the G clamp is there to balance it while I decide on final position
approx position of right side brace.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
Cheers Wayne, in answer to your question, first, floor or body? I'm bracing up the body ready for the removal of the rusty heater channels.
Here's the first cross brace, made from scrap steel channel I scrounged from a neighbour, clamped in and level .
View attachment 42738

welded in
View attachment 42739
Looks good, I take it you weld, I be at have tried to learn, should, ,an k owe I have paid enough in shops and home visits to pay for lessons and get a good welder. I replaced the cables running from the center cconsole to the flappers under the rear seat yesterday, was simple enough, need to replace the cables from center console to the heat exchangers just in front of the rear tires next. Cannot remember fr9m your pics if your heat exchangers were ok,or not hope so, over here they are about 200$ each

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Thanks Wayne. The main channels of the body bracing are now welded in....
bracing welded in.jpg

not pretty welds by any stretch of the imaginationm, but they are only temporary till I get some strength back into the shell with the new heater channels.
weld rear offside.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
checking door gaps before and after tacking in the bracing pieces. I'm also welding in front and rear cross bracing as well. Dead easy as the chennels are already there to weld to.
door gap.jpg
door gap.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I'm off to work now, so I'm asking my wife Jane to check for smoldering in an hour, can't be too careful with a timber build workshop, don't want it doing an impression of the artwork on my welding helmet.
welding helmet artwork.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
Moving along well it seems, sorry for any extra, missing, or wrong letters, my tablet keyboard is developing a mine of it's own. Great graphics on you welding helmet, looks like Dantes Inferno. The floor board replacements tack weld in right, not bolt. Never took up welding wish i had though. Keep the updates coming, enjoy them. The weather has been so nasty here of late, am working a 1/24 scale model of 1968 VW Beetle I got for Christmas, man I haven't put together a model in decades, amazing how detailed this thing is. Well hang in there, enjoy

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Moving along well it seems, sorry for any extra, missing, or wrong letters, my tablet keyboard is developing a mine of it's own. Great graphics on you welding helmet, looks like Dantes Inferno. The floor board replacements tack weld in right, not bolt. Never took up welding wish i had though. Keep the updates coming, enjoy them. The weather has been so nasty here of late, am working a 1/24 scale model of 1968 VW Beetle I got for Christmas, man I haven't put together a model in decades, amazing how detailed this thing is. Well hang in there, enjoy
Hey Wayne, what make is the model kit, Tamiya, Hasagawa? got a picture? perfect activity for a bad weather day, snuggled up in the dry warm conditions and work on tiny kit parts. But there is a serious end game for it too, you can plan colour schemes with a scale model, far better than on a two dimensional picture.

today the final cross braces were welded in front and rear, door gaps checked and all is well so far.
final cross pieces in b.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
Looking good, glad you were able to keep it all square and aligned. Good foresight otherwise could have twisted or torqued about while repairing it. Kinda like putting together a picture puzzle and have one side off by a few pieces, don't realize it till about half way thru, and nothing lines up.
The modle kit is made by REVEll, 1/24 scale, was hoping to find a little larger one but was the only one in the whole town, and it was the only one they had, was pushed way to the back on the self and actually dusty. I know the real Beetle is rare around here, but a modle being hard to find ? Am enjoying working on it, like I said is really detailed and accurate as to the parts and their fitment, any some really really small, that why I chose to do a lot of the painting first, had to pull out some pretty strong magnifier, and some paint brushes I had to. It down to only a few hairs or bristles, but getting there.
Side question, are you located in the UK or where, just wondering as to the difference in out time zones. It is 7:48 AM, Sunday morning here.
Attached a few pics, keep yours co
ming to man.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Looking good, glad you were able to keep it all square and aligned. Good foresight otherwise could have twisted or torqued about while repairing it. Kinda like putting together a picture puzzle and have one side off by a few pieces, don't realize it till about half way thru, and nothing lines up.
The modle kit is made by REVEll, 1/24 scale, was hoping to find a little larger one but was the only one in the whole town, and it was the only one they had, was pushed way to the back on the self and actually dusty. I know the real Beetle is rare around here, but a modle being hard to find ? Am enjoying working on it, like I said is really detailed and accurate as to the parts and their fitment, any some really really small, that why I chose to do a lot of the painting first, had to pull out some pretty strong magnifier, and some paint brushes I had to. It down to only a few hairs or bristles, but getting there.
Side question, are you located in the UK or where, just wondering as to the difference in out time zones. It is 7:48 AM, Sunday morning here.
Attached a few pics, keep yours co View attachment 42760 View attachment 42761 ming to man.
nice, I may get one too. we could start a beetle model making thread on here.

·
Registered
337 Posts
nice, I may get one too. we could start a beetle model making thread on here.
Hey man, good to hear back. Like I said , its been decades since I last did modle, but am really enjoying it. I found out back then it's so much easier to do all the painting while all the parts are still attached first, and if need be scratch off any over flow to allow the parts to be glued in place. But to each his own, RIGHT?
Am doing my own color selections, and think I have settled on the over all color. Will post a pic below. Believe it or not the detail of this thing is amazingly close to the real thing. I want to change a few things about the modle though, like going to redo the front side windows, so the wing vent are opened and the door windows are partially lowered, making chrome tail pipes instead of painted, adding scale sized spark plug wires, and wiring harness on the fan shroud.
Like the idea of starting a Modle thread, will be glad to follow your lead, could be fun, may even liven the whole forum up a little. Give some thought to what we need to do go get a thread or sub-forum going and assign what ever I c
an do to help. Thinking a color scheme similar to this, but use a 3 or 4 white stripe to divide a dark blue bottom from a slightly lighter blue , with th e darker blue on the bottom and lighter on top, what you think?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Being one of an engineering rather than artist eye I see moving that white check mark forward. So that there is less dark blue on the door and more of it in front of the fender. Since the front fender blends with the panel above it so should the rear. The bottom of the check would be just at the line between the door and back panel.

I might experiment with taking the white line all the way across the top of the dark blue from the top of the rear fender to the point just below the side view mirror.

As for colors, they look good to me. Don't do any red!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Being one of an engineering rather than artist eye I see moving that white check mark forward. So that there is less dark blue on the door and more of it in front of the fender. Since the front fender blends with the panel above it so should the rear. The bottom of the check would be just at the line between the door and back panel.

I might experiment with taking the white line all the way across the top of the dark blue from the top of the rear fender to the point just below the side view mirror.

As for colors, they look good to me. Don't do any red!
Red is definately out, never even considered it. I was thinking along the lines you suggested, would get a more equal proportioned, but not semetrical, look for both the white dividing line and the two different blues and also both fender flares. Thanks for the input about the color scheme and the magnifier, nice to have others in my "corner" to sway my wife when I want to expand my HOBBY budget.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Today was fuel tank out day, sender unit and pipes after the four retaining bolts. "that's all there is to it", as Bruce Forsyth used to say on the generation game.
fuel tank.jpg

tank out and on the workshop floor, looks good, no holes.
fuel tank out on the floor.jpg

61 - 80 of 577 Posts