Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
841 - 860 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #843 ·
now the lengthly sanding, filling, sanding misting and re-sanding...
Hood Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

sandingthrough the black helps identify the high and low spots
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Bumper

then a coat of high build primer and the process start over.
Hood Rectangle Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
376 Posts
View attachment 46356

View attachment 46357

View attachment 46358
View attachment 46356

View attachment 46357

View attachment 46358
Nice job.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #845 ·
Thanks John.

It's been a long job, this door, smoothing over that major butt join of the bottom five inches replaced with new steel front to back. The time waiting between coats of high build primer and body filler to dry off before the next step is what is soaking up the time, but... Getting there with it.
Hood Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #846 · (Edited)
Going around to do a check on the body after a long cold dry spell to see how it's faring down there, Dusty, but dry and free from rust, well, a light surface dusting here and there, expected, before it gets several coats of primer and top coat later on in the build.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grille

looking down, under the front, again it's doing good under there. That tow eye stands out.... Modern vehicles have that as a screw on part with the socket hidden by a cap in the bumper.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

that reminds me of a case I dealt with when I was a new SOCO 20 years back. A lad, old enough to know better, gets drunk and had a habit of using the road as a temporary bed, he's been warned on previous occasions how dangerous and stupid this is, on this occasion he has a skin-full and lays down in the East Bound Carriageway of the a27, along comes Miss Maypool, (the names have been changed to protect the innocent) in her 1970 VW Beetle, passing under a faulty street lamp, as what appeared to be a black rubbish sack passes under her wheels....Bumpety Bump. That was no Rubbish sack! Upon close examination under good lighting conditions of the P.M. table, what part of the smooth bottom of a VW beetle could have caused that massive rent in his groin? almost like a ragged hole three inches deep next to his tackle. All these Years later I've found the culprit.
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #847 ·
Finally lifted the body shell up off the Chassis and placed it inside the workshop where I can do some more work on it.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

there's lots still to be done. The odd dolly wheel finally gave up and broke off, so the body is resting on timbers on the floor for the time being, till I can re-model the body trolley and jack it up and slide the trolly underneath.
Wood Gas Font Metal Engineering

got some cans of etched primer and plain white primer, ready to use.
Plant Liquid Cosmetics Tints and shades Fluid

the areas of rust that has developed during the winter hold over are ready to be wire brushed off, krusted and ....
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

the rust reduced to a few pitts, converted to black by the krust. The etch primer working it's way in, let that dry off and then it's time for some sanding back.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #849 ·
thanks John, plenty still to do inside and outside before I start using a paint gun on it, but that's the objective. in the meantime there's holes still to be done around the wheel arches.

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Car

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #850 ·
Sanding back the surface and applying standard white primer over the etch. that should hold off the rust returning till I can get the paint gun at it, but there are a dozen spots still to be done first.
Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle door

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #851 ·
no work done on the Beetle today as I wanted to tend to the brake squeal from the front nearside drum on the Morris 1000 Pickup. Beautiful day to be working outside.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

what you do one side you have to equal on the other, tweeked the snail adjusters till the drum stuck, then one click back. gave the king pin grease points a pamp or two.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Rim

pleased at how clean, dry and solid things are in here.
Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Fender Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #853 ·
stripping out the electrical junction in front of the dash, I'll keep that to one side to help me re-wire the new loom.
Electronic engineering Electrical wiring Gas Motor vehicle Cable

the space vacated under the dash, clean and repaint that...a stub of coloured wire left in place to help with the re-wire later on.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle door

the brake fluid plastic container that feeds the master cylinder, can be re-used if I can get it out without it splitting.
Motor vehicle Fluid Gas Auto part Nut

one rusty screw and a tab at the back...
Ingredient Food Fluid Gas Recipe

the tub it sits in is rough and corroded, lets see what can be done with it.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Wood Gas

it's spot welded to the inner wing, rough, but savable.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Fender

the etch working it's way across the interior, etching it's way into the surface providing a good key for the next coat of white primer.
Vehicle Window Fixture Car Hood

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #855 ·
I'll be buying brand spanking new John, can't beat the satisfaction of wiring up a new painted body. In the meantime, lots of sanding, High build primer and sanding...
Hood Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Vehicle door

getting back to shape.
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Wood

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #857 ·
Absolutely John, best way to paint it is with it all stripped down as a bare shell.

the jagged rust hole in the left front inner wheel arch, cut to a regular shape, card held behind and the shape drawn on it to make a template.
Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior

using the cut out card as a template for the steel patch, drilled and a nut and bolt screwed on.
Wood Rectangle Gas Metal Machine

841 - 860 of 887 Posts