Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
861 - 880 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #861 ·
You got it John, one bolt of many. The right bonnet hinge connected up to the bolt welded in, The nut screwed on with tight bond.
Automotive tire Wood Art Tints and shades Bumper

the jagged hole welded up on the left front arch, the next one down is my next target
Automotive tire Tire Automotive exterior Wood Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #862 ·
underneath the forward luggage bay compartment today, treating some surface rust that I've missed.
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

once the krust had dried and turned the surface rust black, I worked in some chassis black by brush.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Hood Automotive tire

little patches still showing corrosion.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

I'm satisfied with it under there. Looking nice and solid.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #865 ·
It's got a way to go yet John, but I'm looking forward to that day.

My local VW Heritage centre are getting 12cc front bonnets in soon, so they'll call me when they're in and I'll click and collect and go and pick them up in my Morris truck.

the original repaired deck lid trial fit, when it all fits I'll strip it down again for painting.
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

the wing nut threads are full of guck, so I cut a slot in a 13mm bolt and screwed it in to remove the muck in the threads slot.
Automotive tire Household hardware Coil spring Coil Gas

brushed it out with an old toothbrush and it wound in smooth as silk.
Coil Wood Finger Gas Coil spring

the only surviving wing, it's fit is going to fight me, but I'll win, I wasn't expecting it to go on easily.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
376 Posts
ingenious thread cleaner. I run a tap through mine to clean out threads. Just curious. Will you paint it with "wings" off or on? I'm leaning toward doing mine with fenders off to avoid paint on the rubber seals (if I ever get to mine).

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #869 ·
Collected a new Bonnet and rear offside wing for my project today, perfect run over to the Heritage Parts Centre on such a lovely cool, sunny day.
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

Perfect fit, or it will be after I remove the protective block of polystyrene under the nose.
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

the new wing, I need to find that a home out of the way while I fix the wing nuts in the arch.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Trunk

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #871 ·
Only the rear Nearside (left side) wing survived from the original recovered Beetle John, I need to buy two new front wings too. But I'm only buying them when I'm ready for them. Got to do a lot of work on both rear wing attachments first.

here's the new wing trial fitted, It matches up far better than I was expecting.
Tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

once the captive nuts are replaced I will fettle the wing bolt holes to allow some minor adjustment.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

the bolt holes are all round, they will need elongating to reach the nuts.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #872 ·
The new bonnet bolted to the hinges, checking for fit.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Fixture Automotive exterior Automotive design

there's no rubber seal fitted to the bonnet edge yet, I'll fit one after paint spraying the shell.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Car

there is a gap on this side, the hinges do allow for some adjustment, not sure if it will close that though. More adjustment to come of course.
Aircraft Motor vehicle Aviation Vehicle Airplane

looking at the trailing edge, there's more gap one side than the other. that can be fixed by hinge adjustment.
Automotive parking light Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #875 ·
when I lowered the bonnet lid it jammed shut as the edge of the catch housing is empty and the lip caught on the edge, so I padded the new skirt panel with newspaper and crow barred the bonnet back up off the jam. then placed the polystyrene packaging back on to prevent it happening again, till I get to work freeing up and fitting the old bonnet catch.
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

the hinge allows for some degree of lateral adjustment.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

just enough to even it up.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #876 ·
the rear wing fit was predictably hard work, with so much surgery, I was expecting it to be honest. The wing flange needed marking and drilling to co inside with the bolt holes.
Water Grey Wood Tints and shades Automotive tire

Water Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

Ok the flange to body fit may look a little off, under there in the wheel arch, but the main point is to get the curve to match the body line, Nice, happy with that.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Bumper

·
Registered
376 Posts
the rear wing fit was predictably hard work, with so much surgery, I was expecting it to be honest. The wing flange needed marking and drilling to co inside with the bolt holes.
View attachment 46738

View attachment 46739

Ok the flange to body fit may look a little off, under there in the wheel arch, but the main point is to get the curve to match the body line, Nice, happy with that.
View attachment 46740
View attachment 46738

View attachment 46739

View attachment 46740
Wow they were way off. Good thing it isn’t some place that will show.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #880 ·
They look nice and solid John, don't matter if they are originals or not, so long as you can tweek them to fit.

I'm going to paint the curve of fixed nuts above the left rear arch in Chassis black to keep the oxygen out and corrosion at bay. Black where it won't show. Then clean them all out with the cut bolt.
Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

the wing painted on it's inside surface with chassis black, hopefully this will help extend it's life.
Automotive design Building Sculpture Art Bumper

861 - 880 of 887 Posts