Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
901 - 920 of 936 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #901 ·
finally I think I'm getting there on the right side. This may be the final skim and flat back.
Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

not there yet with the left side, still that ripple showing from the lower panel repair.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #903 ·
it's only now I notice the difference in bumper support slot size between teh original 1972 wing on the left and the generic pattern replacement on the right, I wonder if the rubber gasket/boot covers both slots? or do I cut the slot to match the original?
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Aircraft Automotive exterior

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #905 ·
one of the spare bumper mounting bars has a slight bend about the center point, this would make matching it up to the bolt holes in the blade difficult or impossible. So the vice and three points of pressure.
Motor vehicle Wood Table Tool Gas

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #907 ·
the question of which side to adjust is academic now, the small slot doesn't allow enough upward adjustment to the angle of the bar, the captured nuts A and B.
Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Trunk Vehicle door

So I'll match the right slot to the left. This was always the easier option, a angle grinder with a grinding disc.
Automotive tire Bumper Fender Automotive lighting Vehicle door

my heavy cold prevents me getting stuck right in at the moment, but I have a new toy on the way to look forward to.
Product Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle

my spray gun instruction sheet says I need 9.5 CFM, But this delivers much more than that, and the 50l tank is twice the capacity of the one I hired to spray my Pickup truck. Great days ahead!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #908 ·
It arrived today, I'll leave that in it's packing case for now see If I have the will to unpackage it tomorrow morning, the cough's not as bad today, so hopefully I'm on the mend. I will be installing this in the workshop in a sound deadened cabinet under my corner work bench with a air pipe to atmosphere, somehow, haven't worked it all out yet.
Truck Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Trunk

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
184 Posts
You might consider installing a faucet like drain valve you can easily reach to unscrew to drain out water. If it is easy to do, you will more likely drain the water out. If it requires a bit of effort, it will probably not get done often and the tank will rust or you will see more water in the air line to the paint sprayer. It is easier to do before you get it installed under the bench.

Something I did for convenience in the shop/garage was to install pipes around the wall of the shop with quick release fittings in places I would like to have an air line. I put a cutoff valve where the compressor flex line connected to the shop piping so I could cut off the air in case of little or big leaks. I also have the line ending just inside the door to the side yard and by the roll-up door to the driveway. This makes it very convenient to run an air line to areas I work in and to only need short air lines on my bench or around my mills/lathe.

1/2" iron pipe is what most people use for less restriction (important) and pressure safety. I choose to install Schedule 40 (high pressure) PVC pipe with well prepped fittings (light ruffing of surface, primer fluid before coating with fresh PVC cement). I run about 100psi in the lines and it has held up for over 20 years with no leaks. A good benefit of doing this is that I don't need really long hoses, which are generally 3/8" ID, and can be a bit expensive for good quality ones. I also don't need to roll the compressor around the garage or outside, or use extension cords, when I want to use it. I set the auto shutoff to about 110psi which seems to be fine for all my air tools. If I need to use a sprayer, I put a pressure regulator in the line much closer to the actual sprayer. A regulator with a short hose and quick connect fitting on the inlet side, and a quick connect on the outlet side allow me to put the regulator anywhere I want.

Another thing I did was to assure every air quick connect fitting is the same type/size, and make sure every air tool has a fitting.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #910 ·
Cheers 67 Bug, it sounds like you've got it sorted, I still have a way to go yet, but my workshop circuit breakers aren''t rated high enough for the Compressor, it keeps tripping the sockets breaker, so I ran an extension lead to run off a higher rated plug socket in my house, bit of a pain, but better than it not working at all. And I won't be spray painting every day.
Rectangle Gas Machine Plastic Major appliance

when I plugged the extension lead in it jumped into life and filled up the 50 litre tank, I tried it out using the air blower tool supplied along with the compressor with a tire inflator, a spare paint gun and feed cup, it blew up a dust storm and forced dust out of every corner and boxed in section of the body shell. That cheered me up a lot, but shows me how much cleaning I've to do in here before I'll be ready to spray paint.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #911 ·
the compressor needed minimal preparation, oil level, air filters fitted, covers over the cylinder heads, the oil breather to replace the transit plug.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Blue Automotive exterior

the red on off button.
Light Product Material property Gas Auto part

and of course the wheels need bolting on so you can wheel it into the workshop.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
184 Posts
Looks like you have a 100A service coming into the shop. You may want to change out the breaker box for a 6 position and put in a 20A service for the compressor. Hager has a 6 position box.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #913 ·
having a clear out and re-organization of the workshop. using the air blower to blast clouds of workshop dust out into the wind. One thing it gave me was a new perspective on the rear wings, the original is out of step with the pattern wing, the main cable feed hole is 37cm up from the edge of the wing, but the pattern on the right is only 32cm up, so the old salvaged wing is out of the picture, I'll replace it with a pattern to match the right side, then the rear lights will be even.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Window Floor Vehicle

my next move is to relieve that scrappy bumper blade of it's support bars, get those off and clean them up for reuse.
Wood Bumper Automotive tire Door Font

Wood Bumper Snout Gas Automotive wheel system

dome ends and rust, they are not coming off, even with a fight. time to go Nuclear, get the cutting discs ready!
Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #914 ·
growl, zoom, clamour, sparks and hurrrrrr, tinkle and clatter as the nut splits and finds it's way to the workbench too hot to touch.

"dis der dis dis dis distruction" as the nut & bolt are toast.
Wood Recipe Natural material Food Ingredient

free for a cleanup wih a wire brush, krust and a coat of paint or two.
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Composite material Natural material

comparison between a front and clean up and longer rear bar.
Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

the new bars fit perfectly without adjustment, straight in.
Automotive tire Gas Wood Tire Fixture

the wing and blade are scrap, I spent a lot of time and effort on restoring the wing only for it to be a complete miss-match with the rest of the build. lesson learnt, don't waste time on restoring cheap and easily replaceable parts you can get right off the shelf, still, it was good practice.
Window Tire Bumper Automotive tire Fender

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #915 ·
the bumper blade and original wing now rest in the scrap metal skip at my local recycling centre, but stepping forward I click and collected a brand new pattern wing from my local Heritage Parts centre, now I have to sand off the sharp edges so I can handle it without it cutting my fingers.
Product Wood Window Gas Technology

the four bumper supports are looking good.
Wood Tool Gas Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #916 ·
First trial/ test fit of the Pattern wing, even though I'm expecting to apply some adjustment to it to get it to fit (Do Bears **** in the woods) it's not looking too bad, I can see it will fit already, and the holes for the lights match the right side the main holes both being 31 cm up from the trailing edge of the wing.
Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

the bolt holes are all in the wrong places, but I expected that, I'll be making adjustments and doing trial fits throught this week with the objective of getting it fitted by the weekend.
Hood Window Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #917 ·
starting at the tip of the tail end, got a bolt in there and use that as my neat and tidy start point, as the tip and rear valance are in line. then mark off the wing where the apex bolt hole needs to be drilled.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Hood

the adjustment can clearly be seen here between the original pattern wing hole and the actual hole I'll be using, newly drilled and enlarged. I'll use this to hold the wing in position while I mark off the other holes to be drilled.
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #918 ·
with the wing bolted on the new drilled holes, the datum point I started with, this join, looks great, couldn't get them more level with each other, very pleased with that so far, now for the rest of the bolt holes.
Automotive tire Fender Automotive design Tints and shades Composite material

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #919 ·
bolted up and sprayed in acid etch primer, well ahead of where I expected to be by now, though the wing change has put me back a step, still, lesson learned. Next step, test fit of the doors.
Automotive parking light Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #920 ·
doors have caught a lot of muck built up while they've been stored in the corner of the workshop, Give them a wash off with water and some car wash.
Plant Road surface Door Asphalt Grass

easing off the trim so I don't kink it.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

place those to one side, labelled so they'll go back on where they came off.
Wood Rectangle Composite material Gas Font

901 - 920 of 936 Posts