Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
941 - 960 of 988 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #941 ·
second coat of white primer sprayed on areas of the body that can be reached, I'm moving the chassis away from the double door so I can move the body forward to give it a complete coat of white primer.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #942 ·
Hottest day on record for the UK today, so why not do some hard labour in the sun, moved the chassis to the side so I can gain access through the barn doors to the tip of Mickey's nose.
Green Grass Wood Tints and shades Plastic

with the doors open, I got a coat of white primer on Mickeys nose, tomorrow I can move the body forward through the doors and spray the back end of the shell, this is how you have to roll when space is short.
Vehicle Car Automotive parking light Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey There Rusty Bug Man!
I just wanted to chime in and say how inspiring and helpful your posts are! I just bought a 1968 bug in Kenai, Alaska and brought it home to Wasilla where I hope to restore her and bring some much needed love her way. I was super fortunate to have found her for $1,800 with new heater channels and floor pans so that helped tremendously. As a 29 year old with zero mechanical history I'm doing a bunch of research and watching you makes me so excited! Now my husband has to teach me to weld! I look forward to all your updates! I'm super invested in Mickey :) any advice or wisdom is always appreciated!
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Textile Wood Automotive exterior Material property Bumper

Plant Wood Organism Terrestrial plant Flower

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Wood Beige Bicycle tire

Tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel

Hood Wood Automotive tire Grass Bumper

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #944 · (Edited)
Hey There Rusty Bug Man!
That Alaskan Bug looks very restorable, you must start a restoration blog right here next to Mickey and let us see a step by step how you get along, with a knowledgeable Husband by your side you can't loose.. Also, laying it all down here helps you organize it all in your own mind, and helps you set out the steps, taking lots of pictures, as I see you already do, will help you more, later on, than you can possibly imagine. Welcome to the club Alaskan Bug Owner..

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #945 ·
Today I wanted to get some painting done before it gets too hot to move, so with the Chassis out of the way to one side....
Plant Tire Tree Road surface Grass

poking Mickey's snout out into the sunshine.
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Plant Car

this gave me space to spray the tail end including the interior side of the deck lid
Vehicle Automotive design Aircraft Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

I'm spraying Mickey in halves, that's the way to roll when space is tight.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #946 ·
the bumper bars slide through the bottom of the wings into sleeves that have threaded bolt holes that allow the irons to bolt up firmly.
Automotive lighting Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

the one on the right of the car (viewed from drivers seat) is fine, slots through and lines up.
Automotive side-view mirror Automotive tire Hood Grille Automotive mirror

but the left one needs attention, there's surplus metal in the way where it's been fitted up with new panels, so I need to cut them clear with the grinding disc in an angle grinder. that will give me some movement to allow it to line up. Better get that done next.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Vehicle door

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #947 ·
the extra unwanted metal cut away, the bumper irons slide in and lined up, happy with how that went.
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

next up is a flatting back of the whole body shell exterior surfaces.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Hood

the third coat feels very rough to the touch until I rubbed it down, flatting back has left some faults that have rubbed through to the grey primer initial coat and the high build primer in some places.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

here on the roof above the drivers door for example. Shown here with an Odontology scale from my former Career.
Ruler Office ruler Rectangle Architecture Font

and here on the rear windscreen B post.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

down to the grey primer.
Ruler Office ruler Line Font Rectangle

the curve of the wings also produced a fault, but slighter. After wiping over the whole car with panel wipe I could run my hand over it, smooth and no white powder came away on my hand, ready for the next primer coat.
Automotive exterior Fender Composite material Gas Auto part

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #948 ·
it was cool in the workshop today, so I bolted up the passenger door, normally a too hot a job during the heatwave earlier in the week.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

the top of the door fits perfectly, the body lines line up just fine, this shot was taken after I finished, the bottom of the door was jutting outward, not surprising as this door has been extensively rebuilt down there.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

so I clamped the top of the door shut, placed a big block of wood against the foot of the door and beat it into shape with a rubber faced hammer till it fitted the frame. I released the clamp and it fills the door frame just fine now, sometimes, the application of percussion, correctly applied, works wonders.
Automotive tire Hood Tire Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #949 ·
taking a step back to take in the whole door, I'm Chuffed with the fit, or as our American friends would say, I'm Stoked.
to the left next to the side of the bottom hinge is a depression, so I'm building that up layer by layer with plastic body filler to re-profile the curve of the door panel.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Window Motor vehicle

the door gaps are nice and eve, see how the door closes later on when I fit the weather seals. for now I can give myself a pat on the back and a look at how it was at the start with the door not closing at all., come a long way since then.
Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
4 Posts
taking a step back to take in the whole door, I'm Chuffed with the fit, or as our American friends would say, I'm Stoked.
to the left next to the side of the bottom hinge is a depression, so I'm building that up layer by layer with plastic body filler to re-profile the curve of the door panel.
View attachment 47349

the door gaps are nice and eve, see how the door closes later on when I fit the weather seals. for now I can give myself a pat on the back and a look at how it was at the start with the door not closing at all., come a long way since then.
View attachment 47350
It's so crazy to see where you started to where you are now! Mickey is looking fantastic, all the hardwork shows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Blimey Alaska, have you just read all 48 pages of this build blog? I'm dead chuffed you are so interested Cheers.
Hahaha almost! I devoured the whole thing in about a week 😅 I started reading it the night before I picked up Maribel (my little beetle) and now I'm sure my husband is sick of me referencing it by now hahaha

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #953 ·
it's been a hot couple of weeks as we are in a heatwave here in the south of England, the lure of local pubs has been hard to avoid, they all have cooling names of sailing ships like the Royal Sovereign, anyway, found time here and there to move onward, the troublesome time taking passenger door, it's nearing the end of it's fit, just a couple of niggles I still have with it.

Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Hood

it fits front and back, opens and closes smoothly, but most of all from this angle, the trailing edge is flush
Car Vehicle Window Hood Automotive tire

just that little annoying wrinkle at the bottom to sand smooth. It'll soon be time for some gloss, colour coat.
Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #955 ·
Spent £200 on 5 l pearl white top coat, blimey prices of everything has gone crazy, still they're mixing me an authentic VW Beetle colour from 1972, pick it up in 2 days time, so time to work on that niggle on the passenger door exterior skin. I've applied some high build primer and am sanding it back to be perfectly flat. Nothing wrong with a little bit of obsession.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #956 ·
Picked up the paint today and got cracking. I have space restrictions that I have to work within, so I spray the doors, then move the car forward on it's little caster wheels so I have space to work around the nose and the rear wing outer edges.
Aircraft Aviation Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

I got about 90 % of the first covering completed when the heavens opened and the nose, that was close to the open barn door for ventilation, got rain on it. Typical, we've had a heat wave and drought for weeks and as soon as.....Never mind, I'll start again tomorrow, starting with the nose and bonnet, then the rear wing outer edges.
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design

The colour is Pearl White, I think it's very 1972, not the acid, bright white the primer comes in, it's toned back and easier on the eye.
More tomorrow.
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picked up the paint today and got cracking. I have space restrictions that I have to work within, so I spray the doors, then move the car forward on it's little caster wheels so I have space to work around the nose and the rear wing outer edges.
View attachment 47436

I got about 90 % of the first covering completed when the heavens opened and the nose, that was close to the open barn door for ventilation, got rain on it. Typical, we've had a heat wave and drought for weeks and as soon as.....Never mind, I'll start again tomorrow, starting with the nose and bonnet, then the rear wing outer edges.
View attachment 47437

The colour is Pearl White, I think it's very 1972, not the acid, bright white the primer comes in, it's toned back and easier on the eye.
More tomorrow.
View attachment 47438
Looking pretty spiffy! It's awesome you were able to get the color as close to the original as possible, not a lot of places would or could do that for ya. I'm excited to see how pretty she turns out when you're done! I'm on vacation visiting family but seeing this makes me wanna go home and work on Maribel 🤣

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #959 ·
Today the weather was clear, warm and bright, with a light cooling breeze, perfect for painting. Got the remainder first coat on the nose and bonnet, plenty of flatting back of paint faults before the next coat.
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

I've just successfully done a clear coat from a rattle can to cellulose paint test, I didn't know if the clear gloss coat would wrinkle the paint, but look, it looks pretty good to me.
Automotive lighting Gas Bumper Gadget Composite material

941 - 960 of 988 Posts