second coat of white primer sprayed on areas of the body that can be reached, I'm moving the chassis away from the double door so I can move the body forward to give it a complete coat of white primer.
That Alaskan Bug looks very restorable, you must start a restoration blog right here next to Mickey and let us see a step by step how you get along, with a knowledgeable Husband by your side you can't loose.. Also, laying it all down here helps you organize it all in your own mind, and helps you set out the steps, taking lots of pictures, as I see you already do, will help you more, later on, than you can possibly imagine. Welcome to the club Alaskan Bug Owner..Hey There Rusty Bug Man!
It's so crazy to see where you started to where you are now! Mickey is looking fantastic, all the hardwork shows.taking a step back to take in the whole door, I'm Chuffed with the fit, or as our American friends would say, I'm Stoked.
to the left next to the side of the bottom hinge is a depression, so I'm building that up layer by layer with plastic body filler to re-profile the curve of the door panel.
View attachment 47349
the door gaps are nice and eve, see how the door closes later on when I fit the weather seals. for now I can give myself a pat on the back and a look at how it was at the start with the door not closing at all., come a long way since then.
View attachment 47350
Hahaha almost! I devoured the whole thing in about a week 😅 I started reading it the night before I picked up Maribel (my little beetle) and now I'm sure my husband is sick of me referencing it by now hahahaBlimey Alaska, have you just read all 48 pages of this build blog? I'm dead chuffed you are so interested Cheers.
Looking pretty spiffy! It's awesome you were able to get the color as close to the original as possible, not a lot of places would or could do that for ya. I'm excited to see how pretty she turns out when you're done! I'm on vacation visiting family but seeing this makes me wanna go home and work on Maribel 🤣Picked up the paint today and got cracking. I have space restrictions that I have to work within, so I spray the doors, then move the car forward on it's little caster wheels so I have space to work around the nose and the rear wing outer edges.
View attachment 47436
I got about 90 % of the first covering completed when the heavens opened and the nose, that was close to the open barn door for ventilation, got rain on it. Typical, we've had a heat wave and drought for weeks and as soon as.....Never mind, I'll start again tomorrow, starting with the nose and bonnet, then the rear wing outer edges.
View attachment 47437
The colour is Pearl White, I think it's very 1972, not the acid, bright white the primer comes in, it's toned back and easier on the eye.
View attachment 47438