Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

81 - 100 of 577 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Still strange for me to see the steering on the right side
I bet I does seem strange to you seeing the steering on the right, I was based in Germany with the Forces and either side is familiar to me. In reply to your Question Wayne I'm currently in Worthing West Sussex on the Southern Coast of England. I'll gather some model pictures of by beetles together later and start a model thread on this forum, stay tuned.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bet I does seem strange to you seeing the steering on the right, I was based in Germany with the Forces and either side is familiar to me. In reply to your Question Wayne I'm currently in Worthing West Sussex on the Southern Coast of England. I'll gather some model pictures of by beetles together later and start a model thread on this forum, stay tuned.
Model thread idea sounds great. Any ideas for cleaning your fuel tank? So you are located in about a 6 hour ahead of my time zone here on the US east coast.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
the front body mounting bolts came out a breeze....
front body bolts out.jpg

as did the rear body mounting bolt on the left side rear
rear body bolt being drawn out.jpg

but the rear right bolt wouldn't budge, I heated it, I coaxed it, aqll to no avail, so I ended up cutting it off under the mount point through the rubber, now I'll have to drill out the stub left in the threads, but that can wait till the body is off.
rear body bolts one cut one drawn.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Model thread idea sounds great. Any ideas for cleaning your fuel tank? So you are located in about a 6 hour ahead of my time zone here on the US east coast.
not sure yet, I'll solve the fuel tank problem when I come to it, I guess I'll flush it out some how, clean water let it drain properly?

·
Registered
337 Posts
not sure yet, I'll solve the fuel tank problem when I come to it, I guess I'll flush it out some how, clean water let it drain properly?
Major problem with old tanks is the bunk and grime from and residual gas evaporating, then the moisture from condensation causes surface rust inside. A mixture of gasoline and kerosene works well, small amount of ea h, throw in a bag of glass marbles, shake the heck out of it, drain it, repeat a few times, will clean up well, promise,

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
I gotta have lost my own marbles taking on a job of this scale at my tottering vast age. Anyway, marbles aside, and every bolt that undoes is a victory on a Rust bucket restoration.
steering loosened bolt.jpg

there's always one, as I've learnt, and the cutting disc strikes again.
steering cut bolt.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
I don't know about you, but I'm finding the lack of edit facility a bugbear. wait, just click on the three verticle dots that highlight site navigation and up comes the edit, no more typos everyone.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
"The first cut is the deepest, Baby I know......" and the first real cut is going to be this awful plate someone, one of the last 13 owners, has used to cover over the rusted out heater channel forward. be glad to get that out and gone.
first cut is the deepest.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
Looking good, movig right along at a pretty fast pace. Thank goodness for cut off wheels and grinders, Once upon a time, all we had was chisels and hack saws. Didn't realize you were doing a total off frame rebuild, wow, will be sweet when done for sure.
Liked your model post and your WAR beetle. .

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
first cut is the deepest, cut a.jpg
The first cut off using a cutting disc and angle grinder.

the cleaned up gap is 65mm same as the height of the channel in that area, some new metal needed in there to weld the channel to
65mm high.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
the next cut is here at the foot of the B post.
next cut line.jpg

so glad I welded in some support bracing, not that this rusted loose heater channel provided much support, it weighs a fraction of the new one to go in there.
heater channel out.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
next cut is here, but the bottom lip of the quarter panel has rusted away, new edging to go on there in that case.
cut below thew q panel.jpg

81 - 100 of 577 Posts