Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
981 - 988 of 988 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #981 ·
when it came out I noticed the VW stamp on the frame, couldn't see that under all the rust and crud, this picture shows the pitted surface, well usable, strong. but each of those pits would have had a tiny indivisible spot of rust, ready to grow under the new paint. that's stable now, time for a spray coat of acid etch primer.
Automotive tire Wood Grey Font Circle

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #983 ·
tested the motor with a battery and it works just fine. the perforated heater channels ready to go onto the top shelf to await assembly. I'm doing this and watching the Queen's Funeral live broadcast, so I'm still working at a low rate, popping in and out of the workshop.
Sleeve Hunting knife Knife Tool Blade

the wiper spindels are mainly of non steel construction, but have rusted small studs that are bubbling away quite merrily.
Water Fluid Liquid Gas Wood

finally got around to replacing the crocodile clip with a new one, that should last so long as I keep it out of the water.
Wood Metalworking hand tool Gas Metal Hand tool

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #984 · (Edited)
all the parts for the wiper mechanism ready for assembly
Textile Eyewear Hat Smile Book

I used a rawl plug as a stand in for the missing bush on the wiper frame moving joint. I cut it down and filed the internal hole till the stud swivelled on it without jamming up.
Textile Wood Grey Material property Button

a smear of copperslip on the moving joints and assembled it up, with a 12v battery and it spun around smoothly. Black wire to earth on the metal casing of the motor, and red to the fast wire.then the slow position wire, all works great
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk Automotive exterior

that's the first working part of the project ready to fit when the time comes, right now it's going on the finished parts shelf, safely up out of the way.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #985 ·
the heat exchanger I saved has run into a snag, the flap that opens to allow air through has jammed up solid, the flap itself seen here being moved with the tip of a screwdriver.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gas Rim

but the control levers A &B are stuck fast, won't budge, some patient tapping and spraying with WD40 might work.
Bumper Gas Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #986 · (Edited)
Soaking it in WD40 overnight helped free up the linkages, the flap opens and closes properly now. it's a strong unit, typical VW. I now need to order the linkage extension kit for it.
Font Auto part Automotive exterior Fashion accessory Metal

and I've purchased a used heat exchanger for the other side, bit of a gamble, but it's £12 as opposed to a new one at £100, if I can get this freed up like the other one I'm saving a chunk of Mickey's Budget.
Wood Automotive exhaust Gas Metal Sculpture

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #987 ·
the body jacked up on timbers resting on axle stands to give me access to the bottom surfaces of the heater channels.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive exterior

passing a tap up through each of the captive 8.25 nuts, just to ensure the threads are clear and ready for when the time comes to join the body to the chassis.
Helmet Wood Gas Bumper Automotive exterior

then a coat of krust to fix the surface rust that has developed during the restoration.
Wheel Tire Aircraft Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #988 ·
with the chassis black given 12 hours to dry under the channel bottom surfaces, I spun the tap in again to clean the nuts of any fresh paint on the threads, but none of it got there, the tap just spun.
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

so I lowered the body back onto the trolley and made sure it was lined up, I may have to clamp it somehow so it doesn't shift when I wheel it out to join the chassis.
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car

some paint on the lower front, but there's areas are going to be sound proofed, but it will help preserve it.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Hood Naval architecture

the left over paint used up on the first wheel arch, it got a fit fumey under there so I'll do it in two parts. This chassis black is perfect applied by brush, so simple and easy to use, and it gives a great finish.
Fender Composite material Personal protective equipment Automotive tire Concrete

981 - 988 of 988 Posts