Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1061 - 1080 of 1107 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Today was a trial, lining up the body holes, got the first one at the rear in, not tight as there are movements to be made to get the others in line.
View attachment 47862

the other side is 15mm out, I've placed a drift pin in there hoping to hear it ping as it drops into place and tells me it's lined up and ready for a bolt.
View attachment 47863

the front bolt holes need to move 15mm to the cars left, this will line them all up, so I'd better lift and push the front 15mm to the cars left.
View attachment 47864
Wait till you get to the floorpan holes, it'll be a miracle if they all line up with no poking of the jiggery 🥸

shenanigans' with the white bonnet cable too, not working yet.
View attachment 47868

with a mirror behind the catch you can see the wire has to go through three holes to get trapped in the screw,
View attachment 47867
If you take the rod with the cone end (technical term) off the bonnet catch and place it in the hole when you get the release right it should pop out... of course you have to get it to lock in place first 😉

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,062 ·
the socket part is working, just got to sort the white cable.

today went really well...the front bolts lined up
Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

lifting the front and moving the body slightly to the left side of the car made the rear bolt line up. Removed it again to add a wide washer so it didn't sink into the rubber ring.
Automotive tire Helmet Wood Rim Automotive wheel system

slowly and evenly tightened down the two front bolts with two rubber blocks and a fancy metal washer/spacer.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle part Synthetic rubber

I used a longer bolt to tighten up and close the gap, I'll leave this in overnight and replace it with a shorter bolt, washer and rubber ring.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,064 ·
with all that work underneath the car, I needed a job standing upright on two legs for a bit. Rummaged through the boxs' of bits and fitted the rear number plate and the deck lid handle.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Plant Automotive design

door handles fitted.
Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Hood

soooooo handy
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

this led to the steering wheel getting bolted to the dash.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Hood

bolted in but not yet connected..
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,065 ·
Today was my Thursday 6 k run, after, I looked at the rain cover and realised my get up and go, had got up and gone. So I had no energy to grub around in the damp, under Mickey doing up the rest of the bolts. So I chose to do small stuff in the workshop. Sorted some tools up out of the way, where I can get at them easily.
Wood Art Metal Visual arts Auto part

starting on the gear stick.
Gas Auto part Metal Composite material Wood

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,068 ·
the electrical junction box, not sure if it should be black or if the last owner tried to paint it silver?
Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Road surface Gas

the inside has been sealed inside and looks great.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

the cover for the accelerator lever in the passenger footwell, ready to fit.
Hood Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,070 ·
Also, I don't think I've ever seen one on a Beetle 🤔
Come to think of it, the seller inadvertently passed over a couple of Morris Minor parts, a gear stick and a wiper mechanism, Mixed up in boxs' of loose parts. So that is one more part for e bay.
the electrical box for the beetle must be this little guy here, hanging up the wall like game awaiting plucking.
Wood Building material Composite material Brickwork Brick

quick glance at it, I remember taking this off near the left rear footwell.
Wood Gas Automotive tire Font Wire

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,073 ·
new box of Parts, £91 Quid this cost me, inc VAT, free post for orders over £50.
Packing materials Plastic bag Plastic wrap Plastic Auto part

steering damper, rubber coupling disc, gear stick gaiter, gear shift coupling set and the rear window seal.
I was all keen to get stuck in, but just had a five minute fix to do on the spare wheel mount bracket on my Morris Pickup, an hour later, and broken bolt, welded on new bolt tip, timber spacer....it just went on and on, finally, got the spare remounted and there's no annoying rubbing noise now, the wheel feels nice and firmly mounted, job done.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

got another four floor bolts in and then fixed the steering damper, such a simple straight forward job in comparison. the old loose rusty one in the foreground of the shot.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,074 ·
finally got all the floor bolts in, not a simple task, at one point I was wondering if it was not going to happen, all in now, took my time and didn't get too annoyed. Then an annoying little job, the fuel filler flip out flap, the wire had broken so I had to devise a new way of gripping two lengths of wire, went for a drilled bolt pinching them together, works a treat, bonnet one tomorrow, if the rain holds off.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,079 ·
the steering linkage doughnut next, out with the old, in with the new fresh one.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Wood Rim

the steering box needs re aligning with the end of the column, out with the pinchbolt and it's tab washer, tap it around, but the front springs need lowering to line it up.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Alloy wheel

got some replacement rims, retro, they'll look great, but some alterations to the hubs need doing before they'll fit.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,080 ·
Back indoors out of the wind and heavy rainfall, my workshop is now the Engine workshop, Starting here. The first nuts securing the heat exchanger to the engine studs. Having already sandwiched the shaped metal washer/seal. The upper is the original stud, the longer lower is a replacement, I'll shorten it when I am sure of final locations, when I do the final nip up.
Automotive tire Gas Snout Auto part Nut

here's the heat exchanger bolted up one end.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Bumper Automotive exterior

second one bolted in from one end. Next up, the exhaust, but I noticed a pin hole in the connecting collar one side that needs welding up.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Tread Gas

first nut on the exhaust, dead easy this side, the other side has had to studs drilled out and new longer studs screwed in.
Automotive tire Plumbing Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

the exhaust suspended in position.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Bumper

here is that weld repair to the collar, can't have exhaust gases escaping from here.
Automotive tire Artifact Gas Automotive wheel system Water

1061 - 1080 of 1107 Posts