Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

141 - 160 of 659 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
this morning I'm jiggling the heater channel into position, the position can be matched up using the repair panel bottom edge.
heater channel below wheel arch.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
this morning I'm jiggling the heater channel into position, the position can be matched up using the repair panel bottom edge.
View attachment 42931
Aligning well, from the pic. You plan to use paint on repair points or an automotive undercoating material? Didn't you say the heat exchangers and flappers running off the exhaust manifolds were serviceable?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
not sure yet if the heat exchangers are serviceable Wayne. Jacking up the heater channel into position, lines up perfectly with the wheelarch repair.
front os heater channel fitting.jpg

the right angle at the foot of the B post has survived, needs patching, but it gives me a usable datum point for welding it to the heater channel
heater channel to b post trial fit.jpg

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
at the back, I'm confident this is lining up in it's proper location. Despite the missing panel metal
back end of the os heater channel.jpg

looking from above, through the rear window, you can see the heater channel will line up ok.
rear external view of os heater channel internal view from back window.jpg

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
haven't had much time to spend on Mickey the Beetle today, a family country walk and a drink of ale at a country Inn took me away, tough life isn't it. Just made it to the Inn in time when the rain came down.

Here's the back end of the heater channel.
rear external view of os heater channel lit.jpg

·
Registered
297 Posts
Doing a fab job on the fab job. All that rusty metal takes me back to my days in the state of Michigan when salting the roads and not undercoating the cars was the normal course of business. They would look like yours in just about 5 years.

·
Registered
358 Posts
haven't had much time to spend on Mickey the Beetle today, a family country walk and a drink of ale at a country Inn took me away, tough life isn't it. Just made it to the Inn in time when the rain came down.

Here's the back end of the heater channel.
View attachment 42938
Wow. Looks great man, aligning really well. Side question, can I and how do I send an invitation to someone to join our club. I posted that question else where on our forum but no responses yet

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Wow. Looks great man, aligning really well. Side question, can I and how do I send an invitation to someone to join our club. I posted that question else where on our forum but no responses yet
If you have their e mail address wayne, you could cut and paste the web address to the person, it's displayed in the top of your browser line.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
So. What do you HAVE planned for today on your BEETLE
today was spent waterproofing the workshop roof above my bench Vice. A quick look at the area next to be welded in, the foot of the B post where it welds to the heater channel, Jacking the heater channel up a tiny bit at a time, till the door gaps are right, and I'm happy with the right hand door fit.
heater channel to b post trial closer  fit.jpg

the black paint needs wheeling off to bare metal, and the foot of the B post too, a nice bare metal weldable surface.
heater channel to b post trial close up  fit.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
Qq
today was spent waterproofing the workshop roof above my bench Vice. A quick look at the area next to be welded in, the foot of the B post where it welds to the heater channel, Jacking the heater channel up a tiny bit at a time, till the door gaps are right, and I'm happy with the right hand door fit.
View attachment 42946

the black paint needs wheeling off to bare metal, and the foot of the B post too, a nice bare metal weldable surface.
View attachment 42947
Looking great man. Yeah a leaky workshop makes for a really bad day to say the least
View attachment 42946

View attachment 42947
Looks great. Yeah a leaky work shop makes for really bad day

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
the B post tac welded in, might go over this weld again with the heat turned up on the welder, the metal thickness on the new channel can take it.
b post weld initial.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
the B post tac welded in, might go over this weld again with the heat turned up on the welder, the metal thickness on the new channel can take it.
View attachment 42954
Looks good. How tough you think the floor pans will be? Were you able to salvage the front seat channels and tracks, the rear seat shouldn't be a challenge at all, straight forward support channel.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
oh man you are way ahead of me there Wayne, haven't really thought that far ahead. The floor pans are going to be replaced with full half sections, they're priced right, and good quality too. I'm only buying panels as I'm using them, that way I can weld em right into the car and not have to worry about storage space.

so the heat turned to max on my welder, and over welded the tac welds. Nice and strong.
b post weld final.jpg

unsure if this is correct, but I'm welding the edges of the channel flange and inner wing bottom flange together, bit by bit, letting it cool between welds. Not getting much time in at the moment, work being busy.
channel to front inner wing weld.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
oh man you are way ahead of me there Wayne, haven't really thought that far ahead. The floor pans are going to be replaced with full half sections, they're priced right, and good quality too. I'm only buying panels as I'm using them, that way I can weld em right into the car and not have to worry about storage space.

so the heat turned to max on my welder, and over welded the tac welds. Nice and strong.
View attachment 42955

unsure if this is correct, but I'm welding the edges of the channel flange and inner wing bottom flange together, bit by bit, letting it cool between welds. Not getting much time in at the moment, work being busy.
View attachment 42956
That's some neat work there, looks real solid. I redid an old 1959 MAY, actually used 1/2 inch marine plywood to replace the floor pans, lol, lasted many years until I got rid of her, man wish I still had that baby

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
That's why I'll never part with Alice, I just know I'd regret it the moment she was driven away, funny how we get attached to a piece of metal,rubber and chromium steel.... and we're living here in Alan Town..... wood pans wow, and marine ply, I bet the car would rust away long before the wood floor.

anyway, wheeling off the rust, flaking paint to see what metal I have to work with.
front offside wheeled off.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's why I'll never part with Alice, I just know I'd regret it the moment she was driven away, funny how we get attached to a piece of metal,rubber and chromium steel.... and we're living here in Alan Town..... wood pans wow, and marine ply, I bet the car would rust away long before the wood floor.

anyway, wheeling off the rust, flaking paint to see what metal I have to work with.
View attachment 42970
From the pic not terrible, def8nately salvageable. Speaking about getting attached to cars, the 59 MGA was probably my favorite, was a teenager at the time, everyone else had the mustang and. Chevy. Later after school I got a 57 WILLYS FC 150 jeep. Loved that thing, if n9t familiar with it, was a 4 WE, 4 cylinder engine setting between the 2 front seat, stub nose, flat windshield like the VW bus, that thing could push over a tree

141 - 160 of 659 Posts