Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
144K views 1K replies 23 participants last post by  Rusty-bug-man 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I'm new to Beetles but not rust bashing and car restoration, slow time in my own workshop/shed.
someone I know is selling this sorry old rusty bug.

I would want to return her to factory spec, I'm not into custom or soup ups. Unlike the previous owner who was using it as a donor car for the monstrosity sitting to her right.

he told me the moulds for the front fibreglass wings for the "thing" are over there to the right under that moss and ivy, yes I thought, "and they can stay there too"

See less See more
#116 ·
today was a hard day to be honest, but in the end I was succesful in seperataing the body from the chassis. Even in my tight space it is quite simle and if I can do it anyone can.
View attachment 42852
now I can wheel out the chassis to leave the body high and dry, but first I have to re weld the exhaust mount on my Morris Minor Pickup. It's getting dark now, time for a beer.
View attachment 42853

View attachment 42854
Sounds like you deserve a beer or 2, or 3. Did you use a ceiling hoist to raise the body or floor jacks? Man double check it for stability please. So any frame work needed or just body/she'll work?

#131 ·
Cheers Wayne, I'll be rebuilding the brakes in good time I expect, I expect the worst, that way I won't be surprised.

front wheel arch tody. preparation for welding in the repair panel
View attachment 42911
Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised about the brakes. Of course replacing cylinders or drums a lot easeir the rebuilding a frame, probably more costly but still easier.
Am totally bummed out with my modle, after two days of international run around between the Revell companies in the US and Germany a replacement for the missing inner front fender still needed. A few blogs say is available from the UK but none give a contact number or web site, so here I set. Really don't know if I could build something or not.
Your project is getting there, lots of hard work I know but hang in there will be worth it.

#133 ·
it's a bit of a leap of faith as the line looks wrong, why, it's on a curved surface and when laid down flat goes up and down, but it's dead on. Just need to remove that left side lip, it's holding the panel proud of the fit, a slight adjustment here and a nip with the cutting disk there....
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Fender

#135 ·
waiting for my Butt weld clamps to arrive from Amazon, why didn't I order them last week?
so taking a look at the other end where the heater channel attaches, wheeled off to see the state of the metal.
Rust Auto part

lots to do there then. There's a patch made by the previous owner, that's coming out, it's only been tac welded in...
Mineral

#139 ·
LOL, just tea, after the accomplishment, would think something with a little more bite to it would be in order. Looks great and should be pretty solid. Just realized we are both working on the right front fender/wheel well area, yours the Real McCoy and mine a modle. Pretty sure you have the more difficult job. I finally tackled the missing and un-obtainable right front fender well. I posted a few pics of what I was able to fabricate for replacement, in your Modle thread, take a look when you have time. Keep up the good work, looks great, appreciate your posts.