Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

New to the forums here as I am new to the beetle world. The goal here is to establish a foundation so I can get some sort of idea of where to start with potentially saving this beetle.

My grandparents bought this '73 Superbeetle off the lot brand new. They drove it from Wilmington, NC to the Wallace area in a snowstorm the day they bought it. They took great care of it and drove it until the mid 90's where it was parked in full running and driving condition. The plan was not to abandon it, and to this day they don't know why they let it sit.

It has not been started or moved since. The additional kicker here is it has sat in one flood two years ago that fully submerged the engine for a few days. This flooding was purely freshwater, and by estimates it probably just barely covered the top of the engine. It looks pretty rusty underneath, but from what I see I haven't located anything detrimental and the body looks half decent considering. We put it on a flatbed and moved it last weekend, and aside from one wheel being locked up, it rolled fine.

TLDR; where do I start when trying to get it back on the road or at least running? Is the engine a total loss more than likely? I have a background of garage repairs on vehicles, but nothing with major wiring or engine work. The first things that come to my mind would be plugs, change all fluids, carb, gas tank and lines, etc.

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated. My grandparents would love to see their old bug back on the road! But, if this would be a total long shot to get it fixed up, I'd like to have a realistic perspective regarding the project. Thank you!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would see if engine will turn. If yes, check oil. If milky white, it has water in the oil. If everything looks good remove spark plugs and put a little oli in each before trying to start it. Check end play on crank shaft, should be tight. May have a lot of oil leaks after sitting a long time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts