Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Someone maybe out
there who can help me.I've got a 2012 1.6tdi b7 with totaly manual seats.I like to buy a leather seats wich I find already but the driverseat has an electric lumbar support,and the back of the seat also electric. Will that work if I change them. I mean there is any plugs or something. Or how does it works? Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not an expert in this area, but since no one has answered your question, it warrants something anyway. I have a '15 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife has the Golf!) and have installed aftermarket auxiliary lighting so I've done something similar

On previous vehicles, if you have a manual seat and replace it with one that has power, then chances are the manufacturer did not make accommodations for anything, but manual - no existing wire harness. Some manufacturers will run everything in their vehicles and plug in what the options call for, so wiring could exist, but it's somewhat rare.

Why not pull up some carpet and see what's there? If there isn't any wiring present, that doesn't mean you can't run it yourself. I imagine you need a 12V input and you can likely get that from somewhere nearby that location. Chances are, the seat won't be operating all that often, (not continuously) right? This way you won't overload an existing circuit and blow that fuse. I'll bet there may be an existing fuse somewhere in the fuse block that may not be used.

Next step is to determine how many amps the power seat would draw and find your fuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very mutch for your answer! Yes there is no wiring in my car simply to plug in. So yes it needs a 12 V from somewhere. Think too mutch hussle. Any way, tnanks again. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This does seem a bit much for the net gain here. Depends on how comfortable you want to be, I guess. You are welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is possible to do. I retrofitted heated and electric lumber seats into my MK5 golf which had manual seats. I bought a set of wiring loom from kufatec and wired it all up. To support the heated seat function I also had to buy a new control panel. The loom connected everything up to the control panel and fuse box. Took me a day to do and I had to strip out the front dash, seats and center console to wire everything up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can’t take credit for that. I followed a how to guide posted on mk5golfgti forum. Search for “How To: MK5 Heated Seats Retrofit”.

I did do things a little differently to the instructions from the original post. I went about installing the wiring loom as if I had a left hand drive car so feeding the wires down the left side trims, to the passenger seat and then across to the driver’s seat on the right. I cut and extended the wires that needed to go to the right hand driver’s fuse box (as it meant less wires to cut and extend) and passed it through the back of the dash and then connected it up as instructed.

All in it took me (and mate) 5 hours to do and an additional hour following day to put the dash and trims back together. I also found in retrospect there is also enough slack in the wiring loom to route the driver seat wiring across the back of the dash as well which saves you dismantling the centre hand brake and arm rest console which is what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts