Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to lube up the speedometer cable for my 81 rabbit pickup. I had to replace it when I first got the truck. The new one keeps showing the speed as more than what it actually is. For example, I'll be driving 35 mph according to my GPS, but the speedometer shows 55 mph. Someone suggested I lube the cable. I can't remove the cable from it's sleeve, but I can maybe pull it out a bit. Any suggestions on what to use and how to lube the cable?

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts
Well I don't usually see a 20mph difference in the speeds but I have had the chattering speedo cable when cold.
I used Spray Tri-Flow lube on the cable. You can remove it from the tranny, and spray it into the shroud. Then hold it up so that it runs towards the cabin.
If you also spray the speedo end that may help.....As far as gps to mph, I would use a Stop-watch to mile markers on the interstate, or one of those radar-you are going things that the police use to slow traffic down. I had noticed about a 5mph difference between my 45 speed and the 40 the radar was shooting at. GPS uses a logarithmic calculation between satellites and ground with a designed error factor, I could go into specifics as to why, but I can't say more than that.

My father told me years and years ago, that if you match the speed of the traffic that you are in you can't get a ticket.
If your tires are oversized your speedo may be off, if your tranny was swapped and you changed tire sizes then you can have a fidge factor as well as because there are different toothed drive gears in the tranny depending on the speedo range (model) and the gear in the tranny.

81 rabbits were 155sr13 OEM.

DO NOT USE GRAPHITE, you will make it worse, and WD-40 when cold will cause chatter.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
You can unscrew the cable at the odometer behind the dash---I've done it on my back with a small channel-lock--that's also how I've connected it and any lube easily treats the cable from that end-without disconnecting it from the tranny

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think it could be the return spring in the speedometer has become broken, worn out or disconnected? I've noticed the needle doesn't return to zero when I'm stopped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts