Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
update - the stalling has nothing to do with the auto start/stop feature. Even with it off, it happens. We also had a wiring harness go bad, more info further in this thread.

Girlfriend just leased a 2022 Taos S with 4 Motion, DSG, and some other add-ons. She got the car yesterday. Today on two different occasions while she was at a stop, the auto stop/start feature turned the car off completely and displayed a message “Please start engine manually”. Forcing her to have to put the car in park and push the start engine button. She wasn’t doing anything out of the ordinary and had her seatbelt on and door closed. She also didn’t touch the shifter or anything. This is definitely not the way this is supposed to function as it can definitely cause an accident under the right circumstances. I checked all over the web and can’t find any solutions. My initial thought was the battery because the power levels play a big roll in the auto start/stop function. Also came across some forums where people said it could be a faulty battery. We’re bringing the car back to the dealer obviously, but wanted to know if anyone has more information about that message “Please start car manually”. If VW integrated this message into the car, then there has to be a documented situation that triggers this response from the car. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Attached a pic of the message it displayed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, how did this turn out? pita for sure! One test drive with my son in a GTI that has auto stop/start convinced me I wouldn't want that feature, as sitting at a traffic light in Phoenix in July it shuts off and ya have no A/C, ,nope!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, how did this turn out? pita for sure! One test drive with my son in a GTI that has auto stop/start convinced me I wouldn't want that feature, as sitting at a traffic light in Phoenix in July it shuts off and ya have no A/C, ,nope!
Called the dealer and they said it could have been because the car is a brand new model and needed an update. We haven’t had the problem since that day, so they think there was probably a software update since then. They said the updates are via satellite now so we wouldn’t even know if it happened. If it happens again it’s going to the dealer again, but so far it’s been fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mgx42,

this is occurring on my 2022 Taos as well. I only got the FWD with the IQ drive. I haven’t contacted the dealer but saw now there is a “stop sale” on them from VW and they reported to the NHTSA. It occurs at least once a commute for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mgx42,

this is occurring on my 2022 Taos as well. I only got the FWD with the IQ drive. I haven’t contacted the dealer but saw now there is a “stop sale” on them from VW and they reported to the NHTSA. It occurs at least once a commute for me.
My girlfriends hasn’t done it since that day. Pretty much just keeping an eye on it and will report to the dealer again if it reoccurs. Do you have the link for the stop sale information?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Girlfriend just leased a 2022 Taos S with 4 Motion, DSG, and some other add-ons. She got the car yesterday. Today on two different occasions while she was at a stop, the auto stop/start feature turned the car off completely and displayed a message “Please start engine manually”. Forcing her to have to put the car in park and push the start engine button. She wasn’t doing anything out of the ordinary and had her seatbelt on and door closed. She also didn’t touch the shifter or anything. This is definitely not the way this is supposed to function as it can definitely cause an accident under the right circumstances. I checked all over the web and can’t find any solutions. My initial thought was the battery because the power levels play a big roll in the auto start/stop function. Also came across some forums where people said it could be a faulty battery. We’re bringing the car back to the dealer obviously, but wanted to know if anyone has more information about that message “Please start car manually”. If VW integrated this message into the car, then there has to be a documented situation that triggers this response from the car. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Attached a pic of the message it displayed. View attachment 45608

They are buying my AWD Taos back in full. Anyone else going through with a buyback?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So since my last update, the car started stalling again. Additionally, the driver side wiring harness broke (?!) and the car became a paperweight. Had to have a flat bed take it to the dealer. The wiring harness is backordered so the car has been there for over a month and likely won’t be fixed until November or later according to the service department. They did mention that a software fix is in the works for the stalling. VW has been very accommodating though. They rented her a car for the time that it’s in service. It’s a shame that this model was released the way it was. The stalling was an issue that was immediately noticeable upon purchase. The fact that nobody at VW noticed this before the model was released to the public is baffling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact same issue on my 2019 VW Atlas. VW Claims they have no idea why - I call BS!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts